Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2015, 11:30   #1

Stuffing Box

Hi there. We have drip less lip seal stuffing box. That has start to drip. I have a photo to show but can't work out how to upload from my phone. Cause a picture is a thousand words. I can't get any info from the part to start searching that way. Hence the photo. So if some one can help with is set back so then we can get to the real problem that would be great.
It's on a 2004 Beneteau 37
Thanks in advance
free in the sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2015, 12:25   #2

Boat: 55' sloop.
Re: stuffing box

Quote:
Originally Posted by free in the sea View Post
Hi there. We have drip less lip seal stuffing box. That has start to drip. I have a photo to show but can't work out how to upload from my phone. Cause a picture is a thousand words. I can't get any info from the part to start searching that way. Hence the photo. So if some one can help with is set back so then we can get to the real problem that would be great.
It's on a 2004 Beneteau 37
Thanks in advance
I think you may be confused. You mean a dripless shaft seal. A stuffing box is not dripless. That is the whole point of the move to "dripless" ones. Stuffing boxes function by allowing a small flow of seawater into the boat, to lubricate and cool the packing. I prefer them as it happens. Dripless seals can be a bugger when they start to go wrong, especially if you are far from a boatyard. If you do not have a spare seal already on the shaft and are not near a haulout, the problem can become a lot more, well, problematic.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2015, 12:31   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: stuffing box

I think this is your shaft seal.

You might have to replace it. Have you been greasing it? Should be done annually at least. You can get a replacement here:
https://www.generalpropeller.com/ind...te=common/home
Old 10-11-2015, 09:52   #4

Re: Stuffing Box

Hi rick, thanks for your help and sorry for the slow response, we're in the Pacific side of panama enjoying the islands and Internet is not everywhere,
that is my shaft seal exactly iam just trying to find a suitable grease to regrease it ti see if that stops the problem do you know a suitable grease,
thanks michael.
free in the sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 13:48   #5

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by free in the sea View Post
Hi rick, thanks for your help and sorry for the slow response, we're in the Pacific side of panama enjoying the islands and Internet is not everywhere,
that is my shaft seal exactly iam just trying to find a suitable grease to regrease it ti see if that stops the problem do you know a suitable grease,
thanks michael.
Mine came with a tube of Volvo grease but I think any good waterproof grease will do. The trick to getting the grease into the seal is to use a big drinking straw, ( I swiped mine from McD's) put about an inch or so of grease into the end of the straw, pinch the end and slide into the seal. Squeeze grease in. Hope the grease does the trick. I would use some good wheel bearing grease.
Old 10-11-2015, 15:20   #6

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

That is the Volvo seal. Manufacturer recommended replacement is every 5 years. I met somebody who replaced it on haulout. He told me that after 18 years he thought it would be wiser to replace it although it still was not leaking.
It is essential to purge this seal after every haulout. This purging consists of eliminating the airpocket that is present after every haulout at the position of this seal. Because of the upward slope of the shaft. Not purging results in the outer seal not being water lubricated and getting hot and wearing out. After that it is to late.
The Seal has 2 lips, the outer one is cooled and greased by seawater. The second safety one cannot be greased by seawater and needs to be kept greased with a good marine grease. My grease for this is blue.
The difficulty is to get the grease on the other side of the inner lip. Best way is to cut a (Mc Donalds or other) straw in half and fill it with grease.
Press the end a couple of mm under the inner lip and press the grease out of the straw in the space between the inner and outer lips. I do this once a year.I have somewhere a picture of a cut open Volvo seal. I will have to look for it.
Found it faster on the web.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Volvo shaft seal.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	112749  
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote