Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2022, 12:24   #1

Boat: Cooper Yachts Seabird 37
Spare Prop Storage On-Board

What is the correct way to store a spare prop on-board? My boat came with a spare and it is stored vertically. Is this okay?
Old 12-02-2022, 13:09   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Spare Prop Storage On-Board

Mine lies around in the bottom of the lazarette. What difference does it make how you store it? So long as you know where it is when you need it.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 13:13   #3

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

It’s not the prop storage that you have to think about...it’s the heavy prop puller.
Most yards will have one but if you need to use it underwater, remember to add air to your scuba BC or you’ll sink like a stone. L O L.
It takes two manatees to change a prop underwater and a reasonable payment is ten pizzas and two cases of beer. Imported... Good stuff.
Happy trails to you.
Captain Mark
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 13:47   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Mine lies around in the bottom of the lazarette. What difference does it make how you store it? So long as you know where it is when you need it.
Along with a spare nut and tab washer or split pin. Price for a spare nut when ordered on E bay as a routine purchase, pennies. Time spent wandering around a foreign port communicating in a language you don't speak for a nut that is imperial in a metric country, a huge price and lots of stress you don't need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
It’s not the prop storage that you have to think about...it’s the heavy prop puller.
Most yards will have one but if you need to use it underwater, remember to add air to your scuba BC or you’ll sink like a stone. L O
Mine fits on a dinner plate, convertible to 2 or 3 leg, one advantage on a smaller yacht. Used it last weekend to take a strangers prop off that had been there for probably a decade or two. Cranked on the pressure and then stopped. Wrapped a rag around the prop and poured a kettle full of boiling water on the rag. A minute later the prop shifted with a bang and the job done. Had to boil the kettle again to make tea though.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 13:56   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

And when you get that spare nut and cotter pin, run a string through them and tie them to the spare propeller. The second chapter of Pete's lament starts with "I know I've got one of those, but where?"

Propellers are nasty if of any size. They don't fit any known shape of storage locker, and can be counted on to mash fingers. Flat on a flat surface usually works, and then pile rope or other stuff on top to keep it in place.
Old 12-02-2022, 14:08   #6

Boat: Cooper Yachts Seabird 37

Thanks for the replies. In reference to "what difference does it make on the prop storage position", just a comment from another boater that sitting vertical on the blades might cause then to deform. My thinking is no since the prop is very beefy. Anyway, I thought I would ask.
Old 13-02-2022, 05:58   #7

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Found the perfect place on my boat for the spare prop under one of the floorboards, and all floorboards on the boat latch down so it can never get loose. Gotta get that spare nut though.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2022, 06:41   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan White View Post
What is the correct way to store a spare prop on-board? My boat came with a spare and it is stored vertically. Is this okay?
I made a bracket and bolted it to the bulkhead, then mounted the prop, nuts and locks and the special wrench to it. All in one spot. Mounted once and has been there for ten years, never used... shuuuuuu!!!!
seabreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2022, 07:08   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I made a mold for my spare prop....as well as for the spare nuts, washer and cotter pin.
I cast my prop and other pieces....both sides.... in a matrix of designer mold material....imported from Switzerland.
The prop was then laid on the bottom mold, the top mold fitted and was then encased in an inlaid teak box, that has 2" thick sides, top and bottom. The teak case was then sealed and varnished....8 coats....wet sanded between coats.
The teak case was then inserted into a steel box I had fabricated..which has a soft velvet liner inside. The velvet liner is there to protect the shock and vibration proof material under the liner.
The velvet liner closes up with a nice pretty pink lace bow.
The case is then locked with a combination lock with a combo only I know. The box is then bolted to the hull with four stainless steel bolts, 1" in diameter. An alarm has been fitted to alert me should anyone want to steal it.

I don't know how you guys can simply throw it in the bilge...
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2022, 07:58   #10

Boat: Cape Dory 31

So the 4 S/S bolts you used to bolt the prop housing to the hull: were they 316 or 306?

Cheers, and thanks for the chuckle
jen1722terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2022, 08:12   #11
Marine Service Provider

neither....I should have stated that....I use grade 304....the strongest grade...my bad...
Old 13-02-2022, 08:35   #12

had a buddy one time who built in the sub cabin sole sectioned areas filled with foam.... to this he heated articles which were essential... prop tools etc heated up said essentials... dropped them in the foam .. voila... rattle free, easily accessible spares... unfortunately for him a hurricane deposited him too far inland to affect escape
arcticmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2022, 09:13   #13
Marine Service Provider

this thread should really also embrace the storage of tools on board..you can't fix, repair or replace stuff without the necessary tools.....plus an assortment of spare parts, nuts, bolts, screws, washers, and other doodads...all which require carefully selected storage areas......hmmmm....may have to build another box...
Old 13-02-2022, 09:19   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
neither....I should have stated that....I use grade 304....the strongest grade...my bad...
But you did polish the bolt heads didn't you
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2022, 09:44   #15
Marine Service Provider

yes, once a week, I get in there and give it a good shine......should one fail......y'know...earthquake, tsunami, meteor from sky.....I keep some spares...

to some...it may sound a bit overboard...but it is my spare prop y'know...." 'ole yeller"...has given me years of good service....before I broke up with it and got acquainted with my new gurl....a max prop....got to give it a good home......I know others, when they have a break up, the old just gets thrown to one side...but I'm not made that way...some people call me "the tool whisperer".....

Tags
storage