Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2015, 08:11   #1

Spade rudder - Ontario 32

Hello everybody . I just lost my spade rudder near Caicos Islands . The boat will be haul out tomorrow . If someone could get me information of the rudder of an Ontario 32 1978 and where I could get one made and shipped to the islands , I would appreciate very much . I am in route to Canada .
Thanks
MAX
maxinterlude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2015, 09:11   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
re: Spade rudder - Ontario 32

Welcome to the forum Max.

Hopefully someone will be along with specific information for the Ontario 32.

Jefa make custom and premade rudder blades which may be an option. I have never used this service but here is a link:

Jefa Rudder Blades
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2015, 12:41   #3

Re: Spade rudder - Ontario 32

Thanks Noelex77 . Interesting but our rudder is shorter and wider than the usual one . I will get in touch with the guy and could change the model . Thanks
Max
Old 26-07-2015, 14:31   #4

Thanks , everything will be looked at , you can be sure of that . I am 65 and intend to sail that boat for a long time . it is worth it .
Max
Old 26-07-2015, 15:22   #5

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

I'm not totally a fan of how they make some of their blades, but these guys do have a lot of experience regarding rudders, regardless. http://www.fastcomposites.ca/site/marine/ Their experience being on a multiplicity of boat & foil designs, over a decent span of time.

It'd probably be smart on your part, to get on the coconut telegraph (word of mouth, plus the internet). And see what you can scare up in terms of spec's on the original rudder. Especially the shaft & internals. And also any & all info on; general weaknesses in the rudder proper, plus everything it's connected to.

It'd be wise too, to measure everything that you can on your boat that's rudder related... with a micrometer, AND checking to see what's still reasonably round, & what's out of spec, in terms of being circumferential.
Needs be, you can buy micrometer type gauges for this as well. And neither type of gauge needs to be real pricey.

Also, now'd be a good time to see what else in your steering system bears replacing & or upgrading. Perhaps even including going to a whole new shaft diameter & setup, along with new & better bearings. Plus, possibly re-engineering how the rudder & shaft are affixed to the boat. Including laminate reinforcements @ skin fittings, & post tubes etc.
Specifically, as to whether you might want to alter or reinforce the afore mentioned items now too. Including; simplifying the how behind bearing seats, bearing & rudder retention systems, & the steps involved in bearingl changes, when such task comes up on the maintenance calendar.

And a lot of the above (meaning my whole, text, info dump) is, in most cases, heavily determined by the failure mode of your rudder, & failures of any other components in your steering system as well.
That, plus, looking upon now as an opportunity to engineer/build out the common weaknesses in the design of the steering gear on that make & model of boat. For example; better shaft alloys, or going to a foil shape that'll give you better control for less effort. One that's more stall resistant, reduces/removes anything but fingertip level weather helm, etc.

So, I suppose that all of those considerations make it doubly(+) important to reach out to owner's associations, & the whole coconut telegraph thing on this. That, & to look for recommendations on any engineers of quality who don't have an overwhelming project load on their desk(s) right now.

Good luck, & if you get real stuck, LMK & I'll see what else I can dig up. As making rudders ain't rocket science.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 09:50   #6

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Dirk Kneulman's dad built the Ontario 32, and Ontario Yachts is still in existence, although they don't do cruisers anymore. If you call him at

Ontario Yachts
4160 Morris Drive, Burlington, ON L7L 5L6

(905) 639-8382
I'm sure he'll have constructive advice.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 09:59   #7

Boat: Cal39 MrkIII, 1982

Another established fabricator of many different rudders is Finco (fincofab.com) in San Pedro, California. They have a variety of rudder jigs for several boat designs and models. I had a new spade rudder fabricated for my '82 Cal 39 MRK III in 2011. They had the original production jig but sent full drawings and dimensions for approval before commencing work. Turn around time was ~3 weeks after approval of the design specs. I've been pleased with the results and have no reservations recommending them. Good luck whatever you decide.
neophytecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 10:10   #8

Boat: PSC Orion 27

I've never dealt with them but Foss Foam makes rudders as well;
NewRudders.com » Custom Rudders

good luck
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 10:48   #9

Boat: Cal39 MrkIII, 1982

Goat, You're right. Foss Foam and Finco occupy the same space and I believe are owned and run by the same fellow. While a great deal of their business seems to be marine based (new fabrication and repair), looking at some of the projects they had in their shop, it's clear they're also involved in commercial, non-marine fabrication and design. Thanks for the brain jog, it's been several years since I had the rudder fabricated.
neophytecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 10:51   #10

Boat: Ontario 32

Hey Max
How did that rudder replacement work out? As an owner of an Ontario 32, I will need to replace my rudder at some point. Was thinking about putting in a modified Schumacher rudder from Finco when the time comes? What did you do in the end? Did you ever find the original rudder specs? Thanks!
Greg
palardyg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rudder