Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2017, 02:26   #1

Boat: Corbin 39 / 41.5 LOA
SigmaDrive - Opinions?

I was wondering if any of you have seen or have any experience with Sigmadrive systems and could offer your opinion.
In reading their info it sounds quite good but question the method of connection to the shaft w/o use of keyway. (Good if you hit something though)
I'm replacing coupling, and the shaft if necessary while changing the cutless out on a Morris Leigh 30 (Westerbeke 20B-2). Considering staying with traditional split coupling with a drive saver instead? If I add drivesaver I will need to modify or replace my current shaft.
It's a good time to inspect the drive system now with rudder removed. (Extended travels in our near future)

http://www.sigmadrive.info/downloads...MANUAL-ENG.pdf

-Bfree
Old 10-02-2017, 21:24   #2

Boat: Hans Christian 33
Re: SigmaDrive - Opinions?

hopefully our video we just made can help. Been very happy so far!

Since making this video we have had a few other owners email us and confirm our findings.

Cheers,

Jon
Old 10-02-2017, 21:26   #3

Boat: Truant Triad 37 Cutter-Alaska, Leopard 40 Cat, Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Neely View Post
hopefully our video we just made can help. Been very happy so far!

Since making this video we have had a few other owners email us and confirm our findings.

Cheers,

Jon

Thanks Jon!
seahag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 06:12   #4

Boat: CSY 44 Walkthrough

I just went back in the water after a month on the hard; new shaft, cutlass bearing, stuffing box, split coupling, motor mounts, prop tuned, etc., etc., etc. Unfortunately, I was not aware of the Sigmadrive, I would have definitely splurged for this addition after researching this product as alignment has always been an issue with this big boat and heavy engine. As it is, the coupling and shaft drive saver costs more than half of the sigmadrive. It's kind of a no brainer I think. The upside sure seems worth the cost. Would like to see more actual user experience reviews over a broader amount of time.
Jon, you mentioned in the video of a big boat, a Mason 44 I think, getting one of these. Can you update on their experience with the unit?
Thanks,
Doug
CSY44 Walkthrough
"SV Eleuthera"
Old 11-02-2017, 06:45   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I have one on the floor awaiting installation when the boat gets splashed.
I have been fighting a driveshaft vibration problem since I've had the boat. I had 2.5" overhang with a 1.25" shaft, that has been shortened to 1.25" now that is as short as I can get and still have clearance for the Autoprop. I hope that addresses the vibe issue.
Only thing I would question on Jon's video is the use of red Loctite. I will not use red Loctite myself as it almost always takes a lot of heat to remove, and the Sigma drive is a grease lubricated component and I won't heat it to those levels. I think blue Loctite will be enough and is removable without heat.
Mine is a small Sigma drive an SD 55 I think, but to mount to my 4-JHE it requires an adapter that is an about 1" thick SS plate maybe 5" or so in diameter, this adapter and the Sigma drive add up to a lot of weight.
Also the grade 12.9 studs and the screws on the driveshaft clamp will need to have some kind of corrosion preventative coating, they are very susceptible to corrosion.
The Sigma drive itself is I am sure an Rzeppa CV joint, so it's nothing new at all, just maybe the first time it's used in this application, but an Rzeppa CV joint is enormously strong and lasts nearly forever. If anyone is interested nearly all older Military trucks like the Deuce and a half have Rzeppa joints in the steering knuckles of the front axle, so they have a very good track record.

Maybe it was the adapter that drove the price up, but mine cost closer to $1,000 than the $500 you paid for yours Jon, you got a great deal
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 20:00   #6

I got mine via King Propulsion. I have no idea how much the adapter costs but I cant see it doubling the price... Call Rod at king and straiten that out. As far as my moms mason 43, it get far less use than our boat. I think she has only ran it twice so far, but she has several feet of shaft overhang and vibration was always an issue. She says it is now very smooth. I will see it first hand when we visit this summer and make a good comparison. a64pilot. Being a new owner of an autoprop I can say that they do not like being dirty at all. The slightest amount of growth on them seems to add micro vibrations. I now dive on the prop every time we are about to pull anchor and give it a scrub with bronze wool. Im sure if I would have coated it with some anti fouling coating this would be less of an issue, but as of now, with bare bronze it defiantly needs constant attention.
Old 12-02-2017, 06:06   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
SigmaDrive - Opinions?

I have about eight feet of unsupported shaft, I believe a lot of my problem is just due to the mass of the autoprop. I hope shortening the overhang helps, I did put three shaft zincs on the shaft on the inside and that helped tremendously. I believe the additional mass moved the harmonic range outside of the frequency I was running at.
I got mine at AB Marine, and I feel sure that is full list price.
After you clean the prop off, put this grease on it, it doesn't so much kill, or prevent growth so much as it makes it very easy to remove. I used it for the first two years on my prop, this year have gone the Petit zinc spray route. Prop Speed here does not have a good reputation
http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp...452&id=1784796

My boat should splash next weekend. Initially I will run it with just a standard adapter to see how the vibe is, then I will install the Sigma drive. I want to only make one change so I can evaluate it and I don't trust the yard to not mess it up.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2017, 20:07   #8

Smart, I just had someone email me that they just installed the sigma drive and had the yard install it. From what I can gather they didint continue tightening the lock collar after initial tightening. NOTE: You must continue tightening until you can no longer move any bolts If you are tightening in a criss-cross method, switch to a circular tightening method of one by one. Do this until no more tightening is possible. its amazing, you usually need to rotate the shaft 4-5 times to get all the bolt tightened to maximum. I used this method and have been checking every 5 hours to make sure nothing has loosed, nothing has.
Old 27-03-2017, 00:43   #9

Boat: Tayana 37

I'm currently in the process of installing a Sigma drive in our boat with the adaptor plate needed for the transmission coupler. I'm having a couple of issues and would like to get some thoughts from the group. My first issues after I got the old coupling off is I don't have enough room from the transmission to the shaft to fit the Sigma drive in place before the prop hits the rudder, so it looks like I'm going to have to pull the prop. Before I go that route, my thought was I can take the adaptor plate off and get the shaft on to the sigma drive then that would give me enough room to bolt on the adaptor plate. The second problem I ran into is the tolerance of the Rzeppa CV is extremely tight and I can't slide the shaft in place by hand. What have others found installing these joint? Did you have to get it lined up and tap it in from lightly hitting from the end of the prop shaft? Or can I also reverse the 6 allen bolts and put them in the other holes to remove the shaft potentially opening the joint slightly more. Thank you for any assistance and I also have an email out to King Propulsion.
ddsailor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 02:07   #10

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852
SigmaDrive - Opinions?

I installed two of these on our catamaran back in 2013. Since we have v-drives (ZF15-MIV) i had my buddy make some adaptors in his machine shop. Have had zero problems.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0954.JPG
Views:	300
Size:	301.2 KB
ID:	144029
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 02:42   #11

Just installed one yesterday. I replaced and shortened stuffing box hose to give more room just enough for the four hose clamps. I did pull the prop and shaft and replaced cutlass, checked shaft for true.
I did use the holes for releasing the clamping device, and lightly tap shaft into place with rubber mallet. I did remove burrs from set screw dimples, key way and chamfered end of shaft slightly
Old 04-04-2017, 17:09   #12

I hope they would make one for smaller diameter shaft soon.
cpt_757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 16:14   #13

Well... I finished installation, ran the engine in gear and then checked fasteners for tightness without any being loose. Seems to run smoother but this was only at the dock for a half hour run time. Looking forward to do a good long sea trial.
So far I'm impressed but it is early - more to follow... will be sailing this weekend.
Old 19-02-2022, 12:24   #14

Boat: Leopard 38

Sigma Drive ... long time ago! I would appreciate hearing your opinion as I am thinking about installing at least 1 first. I sail a Leopard 38 with BETA30 engines.

Thanks
Alex
ak5609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2022, 12:25   #15

Boat: Leopard 38

Sigma Drive ... long time ago! I would appreciate hearing your opinion as I am thinking about installing at least 1 first. I sail a Leopard 38 with BETA30 engines.

Thanks
Alex
ak5609 is offline   Reply With Quote