Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2007, 05:52   #1

Boat: Passport 615. Renovatio.
Should I add the stormsail?

New Passport 615. World cruise. Have the option to install stormsail in addition to head & stay. Would this be worth it? I feel if I might need it I should install up front when rigged instead of later if I feel I need it.

Thanks for your suggestions.
michael201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2007, 07:16   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael201
New Passport 615. World cruise. Have the option to install stormsail in addition to head & stay. Would this be worth it? I feel if I might need it I should install up front when rigged instead of later if I feel I need it.

Thanks for your suggestions.
I'm more than a little shocked that you even have to ask that question.

61 footer, world cruise, and you're wondering if you'll need a storm sail?

Best of luck to you.

randy

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2007, 07:23   #3

Boat: CSK, 33' Aita Pe'ape'a
I'm a little confused. Are you talking about adding a seperate stay for the stormsail? A stormsail isn't a bad idea to bring along, but I'm not too keen on the idea of leaving the storm sail on a furler or something like that.
Good luck.
Tnflakbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2007, 07:35   #4

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
I am afraid I am with randy on this one. I hope you plan to do plenty of research and lots of practice sailing with the boat before you head off round the world. Even with decades of sailing in protected bays and waterways you need offshore experience prior to beginning a trip like that. Or perhaps you have spiritual connections that will watch over and protect you.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2007, 07:36   #5

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Suggest you consult the builder. From the company site it seems this is a masthead rig - but no indication it has any form of inner forestay or runners to counter loading.

As it also appears set up to carry both genoa and maybe gennaker on furlers, so I don't think you'd be able to hoist any form of storm sail on those same forestays - nor possibly would you want such a sail so far forward.

At 60+ foot long - rigging a dismountable inner stay is probably what the builder will recommend. But it is a new boat, they do know whats best, so go get the right answer from them.

For what its worth, we've sailed 20 + years and covered maybe 50,000 miles. Always carried a storm sail and always will, but never ever used one..........

Cheers
JOHN
Old 28-02-2007, 07:56   #6

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34 - "Raven"
Quote:
Have the option to install stormsail in addition to head & stay.
Perhaps referring to a track for a storm tri?
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2007, 11:03   #7

Settle down folks. We're going to have a Captain/Instrustor for at least 6 months or until he feels we're ready. I mean 6 months at least FULL TIME. If I need a year then so be it... I do have sailing experience but not bluewater. That is what the Captain/Instructor is for.

In regards to the stormsail, it has a seperate stay that would be used for the stormsail if one chooses to install.
Old 28-02-2007, 11:16   #8

More clarification... It would be a removable inner forstay.
Old 28-02-2007, 11:20   #9

Quote:
Settle down folks. We're going to have a Captain/Instrustor for at least 6 months or until he feels we're ready. I mean 6 months at least FULL TIME. If I need a year then so be it... I do have sailing experience but not bluewater. That is what the Captain/Instructor is for.

In regards to the stormsail, it has a seperate stay that would be used for the stormsail if one chooses to install.
Now that's the way to go! Be a sponge.

I would say the answer is a resounding yes.
When used, it will keep the center of effort centered and off the bow.

Trysail available as well? Get it.

You may never need either. But, it's far better to have and not need, than need and not have.

I'd also suggest a Jordan Series drogue. Deployed off the stern, it slows you down(prevent surfing) and holds the stern 90 to the wave front(prevent broaching). http://www.jordanseriesdrogue.com/

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2007, 11:20   #10

Boat: Tayana 37, M-20/I-20 Scow
Why not contact Bill Dixon the designer through Passport Yachts or one of the distributors .... and get the recommendations directly 'from the horses mouth'. The forward extended coach roof and its structural integrity, etc. for locating a removable 'inner stay' might be problematic. Your boat probably already has a solent stay .... would be a good place for a storm jib and is already there.
Richhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2007, 11:48   #11

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
michael

More power to you man!
I agree with Randy get it if you can, but as Richhh points out make shore the forstay will be attached in a stucturaly sound way. Hey it looks like money is no obstacle.

Good luck with your adventure,
Paul
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2007, 11:49   #12
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:

Not being funny, but as you are clearly not short of a few quid, then my answer is I would get whatever the factory is offering (albeit I am a bit unclear as to exactly what you are describing!), with the only caveat being that whatever the factory is offering is designed to suit the rig (I presume it is, but without knowing exactly what is proposed and what you have already..........)

If money was tighter I would still want a storm sail, but just that the capacity to carry it may well be different.

........part of my thinking (but not all) is that if you have one you are less likely to need it.

(PS you are clearly more restrained in "Internet Land" than yours truly. If I had a hat on I would take it off to you!).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2007, 12:30   #13

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
I would not want to be more than say 100 miles off shore without a storm jib and trisail.( Yes I have used both)
dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2007, 13:40   #14

I think I'll call Bill.... He did engineer it with the inner forstay (removable) so I'm sure he'll think it would work well. You're all saying what I thought beforehand. A trisail is a must and I'll get one and probably the other also. Thanks.
Old 28-02-2007, 14:31   #15

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
I agree with the poster who suggested a trisail, and would add that a trisail that has it's own track (i.e. separate from the mainsail track) is generally considered the best way to go.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote