Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2009, 08:07   #1

SD50 zincs

I have read the SD postings with interest. I have a Yanmar SD50 with Volvo folding prop as backup on my 47ft trawler. It only gets limited use. The issue I have relates to zincs on both the SD leg and the prop. Both are inadequate. Compared to other zincs on the boat, these two wear relatively fast, barely lasting the 5 month Northeast season. I tried the 2-part zinc arrangement intended to enable changeout of the SD zincs in the water but ran into a clearance fit problem that required the zincs to be machined to fit- plus these have less mass aand erode even faster. The Volvo prop zincs are 3 skinny little pieces that bolt on around the back of the prop. housing. My question is whether anybody has a better solution than hauling the boat every 6 months just to replace these zincs - has anybody got a suggestion for adding more zinc to the equation? I have wondered about clamping/bolting more zinc to the SD leg. The leg was already replaced once at purchase because of electrolysis/corrosion!! Is there anyway to increase the zinc capacity on the folding prop?
chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2009, 08:28   #2
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjs View Post
Is there anyway to increase the zinc capacity on the folding prop?
Short answer? No.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2009, 18:52   #3

Thanks for the contribution!!
chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sd50