Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2008, 18:08   #1

Boat: 10m Catalac, Immanuel
SD 30 Sail Drive Issues - HELP!

been awhile since being on the forum. Well we finally took off on our trip, been great so far. Some what stuck up in Edenton, NC.
I have SD 30 saildrives, while crossing the Albemarle on motors got a "bang" noise. Lost starboard thrust, shifted in reverse for a moment,then back forward, got thrust back. Thought I had a shift adjustment issue, turns out I have forward thrust w/lever in forward position, grinding w/lever in neutral position, and neutral in reverse position. NO REVERSE.
I should be able to get back home.My question is where to get a manual on SD 30 saildrives (can't find 'em on web) am I at mercy of service techs or can I repair myself. I am fairly mechanical, I've just not had one of these apart before.
Any input appreciated
Immanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2008, 18:31   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
If accesible remove the oil filler cap and check the oil for metal particles.

Unfortunately, I think this is not going to be cheap or easy....
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2008, 18:59   #3
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immanuel View Post
been awhile since being on the forum. Well we finally took off on our trip, been great so far. Some what stuck up in Edenton, NC.
I have SD 30 saildrives, while crossing the Albemarle on motors got a "bang" noise. Lost starboard thrust, shifted in reverse for a moment,then back forward, got thrust back. Thought I had a shift adjustment issue, turns out I have forward thrust w/lever in forward position, grinding w/lever in neutral position, and neutral in reverse position. NO REVERSE.
I should be able to get back home.My question is where to get a manual on SD 30 saildrives (can't find 'em on web) am I at mercy of service techs or can I repair myself. I am fairly mechanical, I've just not had one of these apart before.
Any input appreciated

SDs.....a love hate relationship. So far I'm still looking for the love part. I had to get my SD-20 manuel from my Yanmar guys. I believe someone posted another source on another thread. Do a search here on SD 20s and you'll probably find it. The problem with these Sail Drives is you have to haul the boat to do the type of work you are talkng about. Then as long as you have the boat out you'll find other things to do, bottom paint, thru hulls, new seals, etc., oh and the other sail drive will demand attention with cleaning, painting, oil changes and new zincs etc. Then when you get it all back together and splash the boat, the Gods of the deep will reach up and steal your prop. It's true, I heard it from this guy in a bar who knows a guy named Sully.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 06:10   #4
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
You can probably download the manual off the internet.
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 08:47   #5

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"
I lost reverse in my SD31 last year and found it was a brass part that rides in the clutch dog to move it up and down the shaft between gears. I don't remember the grinding noise but it is worth a look. I removed the top of the case and the top gear bearing carrier the the shaft with the clutch dog will pull out. THe Brass part is connected to the shift linkage on the side plate that is removable. T remove the side plate you will have to pull out some of the gear lube.

I am not sure of the SD30 if it has the cone type or the clutch type. I think it is the cone. I have read of some who had some success with in water repairs to the cone type. Check this owners board also, they are all saildrive boats. http://groups.msn.com/VoyageYachtOwn...sageboard.msnw

Good Luck
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2008, 09:20   #6

Thanks everybody for your input! We made it back home just fine. I opened top cover of saildrive to inspect, Sea King, you were right! The bearing on the shift lever that lifts cone up & down for forward & reverse blew out. Fortunatly the gears seem to be in good shape and I was able to vacuum out bearings and debris from oil chamber. The parts are on order and all should go back together easy enough. It was nice to find out that saildrive did not have to come out and repair wasn't in the thousands of $'s, and the best part, I did it myself. We're ready to head back out again!!
Old 23-07-2008, 09:35   #7

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"
Quote:
Thanks everybody for your input! We made it back home just fine. I opened top cover of saildrive to inspect, Sea King, you were right! The bearing on the shift lever that lifts cone up & down for forward & reverse blew out. Fortunatly the gears seem to be in good shape and I was able to vacuum out bearings and debris from oil chamber. The parts are on order and all should go back together easy enough. It was nice to find out that saildrive did not have to come out and repair wasn't in the thousands of $'s, and the best part, I did it myself. We're ready to head back out again!!
Congrats, Immanuel. I know all to well that is a relief not having to replace the drive. Where are you in N.C. my wife and I bought a lot in Oriental a few years ago and plan on moving there one of these years.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2008, 11:13   #8
cruiser

I wish I didn't miss this thread. It's a valuable one and I would have liked to try and help. Sea King saved the day!

Don't forget, we have an exploded schematic of the saildrives on here:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...4&postcount=42
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2010, 08:56   #9

Boat: Gulfstar Mk II 60'
SD31 saildrive clutch dog

Immanuel, got the same problem you had, did you have to replace the clutch dog or just the bearings?

Quote:
Any input appreciated
ZINGARA II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2010, 17:10   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZINGARA II View Post
Immanuel, got the same problem you had, did you have to replace the clutch dog or just the bearings?

Just the bearings. It wasn't too difficult. Make sure to vac out all the ball bearings and metal parts. I just used my engine oil vac/pump.
It's been over a year now & still no problems.
Clif
s/v Immanuel
Old 16-03-2010, 03:24   #11

Boat: Gulfstar Mk II 60'
Thumbs up saildrive 31 yanmar

Immanuel, I have lost forward and reverse, no propulsion what so ever. It appears the Dog Clutch has failed or the shaft clutch, maybe both. I am stuck un Spanish Wells Bahamas and waiting on parts. It could also be the upper and lower Needle Berg. I have ordered all parts, I guess maybe this might fix it, thanks for your help.
ZINGARA II is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
saildrive