Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2017, 02:16   #16
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: Saildrive Coating...do it right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Out of curiosity who in this forum changes their Saildrive anode in the water?
I have probably only done it one or two hundred times.

fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 13:46   #17

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulflyer1980 View Post
Thanks Belizesailor, that exaclty supports my thesis. I mean copper antifoul can only harm the saildrive with direct contact. With a proper barrier coat that is not the case and there should be no galvanic corrosion.

What barrier coat have you been using?

Ferdinand
Been on there so long Ive forgotten.

belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 13:47   #18

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Paul L have you ever replaced a Saildrive anode? The ones I know of you have to remove the propeller then replace the anode once you have undone the two hex bolts that hold it in place. That all sounds easy but I have seen more than a few difficult anode replacements done on the hard stand.
That reminds me, if you are going to copper coat the Saildrive then how do you coat the inside of the raw water intake? Bukh is the only Saildrive manufacturer that I know of that does not use the leg for the raw water intake.
Cheers
Have changed props and anodes in the water. No big deal.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 23:10   #19

Boat: Bahia 46

Quote:
Paul L have you ever replaced a Saildrive anode? The ones I know of you have to remove the propeller then replace the anode once you have undone the two hex bolts that hold it in place. That all sounds easy but I have seen more than a few difficult anode replacements done on the hard stand.
That reminds me, if you are going to copper coat the Saildrive then how do you coat the inside of the raw water intake? Bukh is the only Saildrive manufacturer that I know of that does not use the leg for the raw water intake.
Cheers
Yeah the inside of the Saildrive is a bit of a pickle...gotta think of that but then there is no copper coat either

I installed split anodes for easier changing UNDER water, takes me less then 5 minutes per Saildrive. And I even remove the whole Saildrive with the boat still in the water. Saves time and a lot of cash for the lift out.
Soulflyer1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 03:59   #20

Boat: Imexus 28, Malcolm Tennant 46 Timeliner cat

what about Velox Plus ?
YARGESOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 04:32   #21

Boat: Beneteau 38 first

seems like anodizing then powercoating would be the ticket to me....

Bob
snokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 05:34   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by YARGESOL View Post
what about Velox Plus ?
never tried it, do you have any experience with it?
Old 31-07-2017, 05:47   #23

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Anodes don't EVER require hauling to replace.
Sure they do. My Autostream feathering props prevent the drive anode from being changed in the water unless you want to do a complete disassembly and reassembly in the water, which you would have to be pretty crazy to attempt. Fortunately the drive anode lasts a long time, though I go through prop anodes about every 8 months or so.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 06:56   #24
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Sure they do. My Autostream feathering props prevent the drive anode from being changed in the water unless you want to do a complete disassembly and reassembly in the water, which you would have to be pretty crazy to attempt.
Removing and reinstalling an Autosteam prop underwater is not exactly rocket science and can be easily done by a knowledgeable diver using a bit of care. But if you prefer paying to haul your boat every eight months to replace anodes- hey, it's your dime

The bottom line is that there is no prop (be it fixed, folding or feathering) that cannot removed underwater. That you can't do it doesn't mean that isn't the case.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 07:08   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulflyer1980 View Post
never tried it, do you have any experience with it?
I am using Velox for the first time this year but its too early to say.

Whilst you can change an anode under water indeed I have done it for a member on CF, changing the oil in a sail drive might be a tad more difficult.

Still not convinced that slapping copper on an aluminium drive is a good idea and it could be a very expensive mistake if it goes wrong. Since the drive is quite deep under the hull and away from day light its not in the highest fouling area of a hull. So why not use a paint suitable for aluminium like Internationals Trilux? its only medium strength but quite hard so a few good coats will allow a scrub every so often.

What is going to coat the rubber seal between the sail drive and the hull?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 07:43   #26

Boat: Privilege 435

Having learned an expensive lesson, I coated my new drive legs with a couple of thick coats of epoxy barrier coat and used Trilux 33 anti-fouling paint. It is designed for aluminum and is suitable for saildrives. Three years later...all is well.

I also change my zincs in the water. I have Yanmar SD50's so use these... It takes me less than 5 minutes per drive with scuba gear on. You also need to buy the adapter plate which is cheap and stays on the drive permanently.

Name:   untitled.png
Views: 369
Size:  31.2 KB
Privilege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 07:59   #27

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Removing and reinstalling an Autosteam prop underwater is not exactly rocket science and can be easily done by a knowledgeable diver using a bit of care. But if you prefer paying to haul your boat every eight months to replace anodes- hey, it's your dime

The bottom line is that there is no prop (be it fixed, folding or feathering) that cannot removed underwater. That you can't do it doesn't mean that isn't the case.
I guess you must throw away torque wrenches on a regular basis. To properly reassemble this prop requires using one, or maybe you just guestimate the proper torque on your customers $4000 props. The prop anode is a 30 second job, but the drive anode is a different story, but I've never had to replace one, as they've all lasted at two years or more. I've never gone more than 2 years between haul outs, and never hauled out just to change the drive anode. Even if I had to I can change them sitting in the slings for about $400. I'm very experienced with these props and it takes me about 3 hours to properly do both of them on land. How much does 3 hours of divers time cost? If the diver drops and looses one of the small pieces, that are covered in grease, in the mud under the boat, how much does it cost in lost time and layup to get one replaced. I think any small difference in the cost of a haul out to do it safely on land is cheap insurance. Then again I don't live in California where it might cost a lot more to get hauled out.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 09:54   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 450
Saildrive Coating...do it right?

What is your driver for wanting to put a copper base paint on your epoxy coated aluminum SDs? I cant understand why you'd want to risk corroding your SDs ie should you get a scratch on the SD from a foreign object your exposed. Its such a small area to paint, put the correct and recommended paint on. This is just plain silly to me.
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 23:48   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Sea View Post
What is your driver for wanting to put a copper base paint on your epoxy coated aluminum SDs? I cant understand why you'd want to risk corroding your SDs ie should you get a scratch on the SD from a foreign object your exposed. Its such a small area to paint, put the correct and recommended paint on. This is just plain silly to me.
Hey Emeral Sea,

yes it might seem silly I agree but you gotta consider the prices for a haul out here. To lift a 46ft Cat out of the Water, I gotta sail about 100 miles and pay around 6000 Euros just for the lift and a few days worth of dry berthing. That is mighty expensive and very time consuming, on top of that, the boatyard doesn't allow me to do the work myself. So i gotta hire some yard approved guys to do the job for me. If you throw all of this and some more into the equation, I try to minimize the hauls outs, small area or not, the whole Cat has to be lifted out. Paying 6000 Euros just to antifoul the SD's is crazy. Coppercoat came as a natural solution for its long lasting. But of course in the same time I don't want to lose my saildrive leg over such a matter.

Have you ever scratched or damaged your SD's? I have done some crazy trips and experiments over the years but I have never touched the SD with anything. That said I am still wary about coppercoat so I am still considering other solutions.

I think I have found the best one! I am going to powder coat the whole thing and use some 48 month antifoul (without copper) and every 48 month I am going to pull out the saildrive from the boat (in the water) to redo the antifoul. Then I can also do a full oil change with flushing the SD. I guess with this I'll have minimal costs and no risks.
Old 31-07-2017, 23:56   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Privilege View Post
Having learned an expensive lesson, I coated my new drive legs with a couple of thick coats of epoxy barrier coat and used Trilux 33 anti-fouling paint. It is designed for aluminum and is suitable for saildrives. Three years later...all is well.

I also change my zincs in the water. I have Yanmar SD50's so use these... It takes me less than 5 minutes per drive with scuba gear on. You also need to buy the adapter plate which is cheap and stays on the drive permanently.

Attachment 153100
Thanks a lot Privilege, that seems to be the way I am going as well. Found a very professional Powder Coater here and made some impact tests to see how tough the coats are. I had to hit the same spot with a hammer trice to get through to the Aluminium. That I am going to Antifoul with your recommendation Trillux 33 and hope for the best

I do have split anodes as well and am very satisfied with changing them in the water. Right now I am working on a system to remove the whole saildrive (antifoul and full oil change) from the boat while the boat is in the water that way I minimize the haul out costs and hassle. Rope Cutter is coming next

Tags
sail, saildrive