Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2008, 12:35   #16

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Just to clarify, that outer rubber boot is not a seal. It is the upper diaphragm that keeps the sea water on the outside.

These boots have been a considerable pain in the a** for me. Last summer I replaced them both using the same process. One is glued up tight, the other is flopping around.

I have just reglued it with marine grade "Goop." Goop claims to glue just about anything together. We shall see.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2010, 08:49   #17

Boat: Dufore Clasic 36 "Pneuma"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspot Baby View Post
Just to clarify, that outer rubber boot is not a seal. It is the upper diaphragm that keeps the sea water on the outside.

These boots have been a considerable pain in the a** for me. Last summer I replaced them both using the same process. One is glued up tight, the other is flopping around.

I have just reglued it with marine grade "Goop." Goop claims to glue just about anything together. We shall see.

George
How did the marine Goop work?

My rubber seal fell off after 3 months, Volvo doesn't have a product for this and 3M has hundreds.

Thanks,
Bob B
gulfsailor8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 16:51   #18

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfsailor8 View Post
How did the marine Goop work?

My rubber seal fell off after 3 months, Volvo doesn't have a product for this and 3M has hundreds.

Thanks,
Bob B
Bob, After having the rubber boots come lose several times, I made a fiberglass backing plate and attached to hull with s/s screws and 5200. We've cruised over 1K miles since the haulout and boots are still looking good. I laminated the f'glass plates myself with epoxy. See pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	n.pebble 042.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	19221   Click image for larger version

Name:	n.pebble 043.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	19222  

Click image for larger version

Name:	n.pebble 045.jpg
Views:	944
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	19223   Click image for larger version

Name:	n.pebble 060.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	19224  

Old 05-07-2011, 08:20   #19
rja

Boat: Nordhavn 62
Re: Sail Drive Rubber Seal Connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
Next year when I haulout. I am going to do this. Do you rock the drive leg back, and forth while the foam is setting up? Gideon, did you ever get my question about Boyen feathering props?

Hello. Old thread.. but I'm wondering if you ever did the foam? We're considering doing this to our saildrives since the boots constantly fall off.

Thanks,
-rja
rja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 08:33   #20

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by svcattales View Post
Bob, After having the rubber boots come lose several times, I made a fiberglass backing plate and attached to hull with s/s screws and 5200. We've cruised over 1K miles since the haulout and boots are still looking good. I laminated the f'glass plates myself with epoxy. See pics:
My boat came from the factory with a backing plate very much like these. I replaced my boots 4 years ago and sealed the backing plate with 4000 and the requisite stainless screws. The 4000 was used in the hope of keeping water from migrating down the screws and into the laminate, not as an adhesive. I decided on 4000 as it is relatively easy to remove and I'm sure that I'll have to replace the rubber boot again eventually. I had the boat out again last year and it still looked good.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 09:06   #21
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

I did the foam on both of my saildrives. My hulls are plywood and I didn't want to use any screws. Volvo's "mud flaps" are flimsy and expensive and they don't even specify an adhesive. I masked of the drive legs and hulls, injected sprayfoam, trimmed with a hacksaw blade, then coated the whole thing with 5200, then bottom paint over that. It came out a little lumpy looking but I was in a hurry and the whole thing is pretty sacrificial. Now I don't have to worry about barnacles growing in there and if my mounting diaphragm ever splits at least I have something in there to stop the water flow. The spray foam you can buy nowadays is fairly low density so I didn't think flexibility would be an issue but I do notice slightly more vibration when the engines are running but am now totally used to it and have just motored over 60 hours almost nonstop without any problems. The way I see it, the most vulnerable part of the whole saildrive system is the mounting diaphragm (you are supposed to replace it every 7 years). If you get barnacles between the hull and drive leg, the only way to remove them is by sticking something metal up in there and scraping around which could easily damage the rubber up in there. The "mud flaps" don't even create a seal, they are just to reduce turbulence and seem to fall off all the time anyway so I went with the foam and barring any unforeseen problems, I plan on doing it again each time I haulout. It is cheap, effective, and provides a safety margin in case of a diaphragm failure.
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
saildrive, seals