Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2022, 12:12   #1

Researching electric motor for Walker Bay dinghy

A hard bottom inflatable Walker Bay 285 came with my recent purchase of a 1987 Freedom 30… I have installed solar panels and don't want to get a gas outboard albeit cheaper and more powerful... Any thoughts on how to go about my search? I have seen that electric motors range from $300-$1200 .....and I'm not sure if you get what you pay for in this case??
Drjonfra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2022, 13:26   #2

Re: Researching electric motor for Walker Bay dinghy

If you are willing to tool around the harbor at 2-4kts, a trolling motor with battery will do the job just fine and will be quite cheap.

You will have to charge the battery periodically but nothing too extreme.

Will solar be enough...depends on how much you installed on the mother ship and how much electricity the mother ship uses.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2022, 14:07   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

For research watch the early YT videos of Sailing Uma who spent 5 years sailing around the Carib powered by a fork lift truck motor because they couldn't afford anything else at the time.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2022, 17:06   #4

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Researching electric motor for Walker Bay dinghy

Pete, that powered the mothership, they had and still have a gas outboard for the dinghy. OP is asking about powering the dinghy.

If the OP is content with a speed of about 3kt an electric trolling motor is probably the cheapest option.

I would get a 45lb thrust MinnKota with DigitalMaximizer. DM is a PWM controller for the motor. At anything less than full throttle it saves on energy consumption compared to typical motor controllers.

Anything over 45lb thrust is probably not going to push the boat any faster, speed will be limited by prop pitch and by being RPM limited due to motor voltage. If the boat were really really heavy the extra power would help maintain speed despite the weight but it won’t help you go significantly faster.

You can eek out a little more speed by replacing the stock prop with a Kipawa prop. Stock props are optimized for acceleration and shedding weeds. The Kipawas are optimized for a bit more speed. Alternatively you can use less power to go the same speed.

I would mount a 75-100W solar panel flat about 2-3’ above the motor. I’ve read posts by people indicating they’ve done that and the dinghy never needed charging from the mothership.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2022, 15:58   #5

Thumbs up Re: Researching electric motor for Walker Bay dinghy

Thx for that input Adelie!
Old 28-05-2022, 22:39   #6

Boat: Gulf 32

Definitely following this post. Our Gulf 32 came with a Walker Bay 285 which I didnt know a lot about and therefore wasn't super impressed with but have been really happy with it since, it rows quite well all things considered so assume it should be relatively easy to drive with an (electric) outboard.

Always been super curious about these guys but haven't done anything more than be curious:
https://www.electricpaddle.com/

-- Bass
Old 29-05-2022, 02:51   #7

Boat: Beneteau 331

Depends what you need. I use a Newport 55lb thrust trolling motor on my hard dink going back and forth to the mooring. Get about 20 min run time full throttle with a 35 ah battery. 60 watt solar generally keeps it charged. If full discharged takes a long time to full charge.
While cruising I have a Torquedo 3 hp with two batteries on an inflatable. Not cheap $3000 for the setup. May have a 20 mile range at low speed. Fully loaded maybe a five mile range. I have a bad back and couldn't lift my 4 hp Mercury. The Torquedo breaks down to two 15 pound parts. I charge off my boats12 volt house system which I keep charged with 240 watts of solar.
FULLCIRCLE331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 11:10   #8

Boat: Edel 35

I use a Haswing Ventura with my Caribe 10ft RIB. It's a 24V rated 2.5kW (approx 6hp at the propeller). Looks very similar to the Torqeedo or Epropulsion except for price, got it for under $1k . Works very well being a brushless motor direct drive with electronic PWM speed control.
It also has significantly more thrust than regular trolling motors at 160 lbs and higher efficiency .
Even if you use it at lower speeds it is much safer to have a reserve of power when needed, such as high headwinds or going against a tide or current .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	haswing2.5kw.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	258919  
CatLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 12:57   #9

Much Thanks...will check it out!

Tags