Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2018, 04:55   #1

Boat: PERRY 43 PASSAGEMAKER
Replacing bellows on Volvo saildrive

Recently bought a 2006 43ft sailing cat with 55hp volvos and saildrives. I also recently found out that Volvo recommend that the rubber bellows are replaced after 7 years and that insurance may not pay out if there is a problem caused by the saildrives if they have not being replaced.
Been on Utube and viewed a video, I reckon I can handle the job. One question what type of adhesive is used to secure the outer rubber onto the underside of the hull? Any other info would be appreciated.

Happy Days Sailing
Frank
Popeye46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 05:28   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Replacing bellows on Volvo saildrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye46 View Post
Recently bought a 2006 43ft sailing cat with 55hp volvos and saildrives. I also recently found out that Volvo recommend that the rubber bellows are replaced after 7 years and that insurance may not pay out if there is a problem caused by the saildrives if they have not being replaced.
Been on Utube and viewed a video, I reckon I can handle the job. One question what type of adhesive is used to secure the outer rubber onto the underside of the hull? Any other info would be appreciated.

Happy Days Sailing
Frank
just speculating here,as i have never replaced one,but i did have a pair from lombardini in my workshop that i resold,these had a profile in the flange cover and the bellows had an identical raised ribbed profile molded into its mating surfaces.

as far as i could tell there was no glue as it relied on a mechanical seal from the raised ribs.

though probably silicone grease would be used to avoid pinching and corrosion.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 05:37   #3

Years ago Volvo supplied a tube of adhesive with the outer fairing rubber, but that ended long ago due to chemical shipping regulations and the like.

I have been told by several VP dealers that "3M Black super weatherstrip adhesive #08008" works well. 3M also makes a primer to go along with this adhesive.

Like everything else, good preparation is the key to getting these things to stay in place.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 06:14   #4

Thanks for your post. I have read it carefully.
inlogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:00   #5

As I remember, it is the heavy inner seal that is to be replaced every 7 years. No sealant is used on it. Many boats don't even utilize an outer seal.
CHRISBENJES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 10:20   #6

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lipari

What you say in your original post is correct. I have just done both of mine (on a cat). The "banjo" gasket inside the hull has none but I guess a rubber grease wouldn't hurt. The outer boot uses a silicone glue.
PeaceLoveMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 16:39   #7

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:

Happy Days Sailing
Frank
Reads to me like you are talking about 2 different things here. The bellows do not contact the outter hull, so by "outter rubber" do you mean just the fairing piece that fits over the hole in the hull?

Click image for larger version

Name:	hull-fairing-196420-02551-rubber-protector-flexible-fairing-kipper-7737-p.jpeg
Views:	119
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	173116
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 16:52   #8

Boat: PERRY 43 PASSAGEMAKER

Sorry, I was referring to outer hull fairing rubber. I believe this simply reduces the drag caused by the cavity housing the leg. Thanks for advice on the 3M product.
Popeye46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 18:45   #9

Boat: Shopping...

In Volvo Penta shop where I work, mechanics use sealant named : RIGHT STUFF
Old 05-07-2018, 18:50   #10

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Sorry, I was referring to outer hull fairing rubber. I believe this simply reduces the drag caused by the cavity housing the leg. Thanks for advice on the 3M product.
Yes, its just a fairing.

If you do a really good job on surface prep and applying the adhesive, you may get a few seasons out of the fairing...if not, less.

The bellows themselves use no adhesive per Volvo, but Ive seen plenty if installs slathered in 5200. I just replaced mine, no adhesives, no leaks.

As long as the engine bed area is fair where it mates to the bellows adhesive/sealant should not be necessary.

And, there are several threads here on this subject already which would be good to review.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, saildrive, volvo