Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2018, 09:07   #1
TCL

Boat: 1979 Morgan 461, 46' sloop
Repairing Hurth HBW 250-2R

I'm getting conflicting reports on whether I would need to haul out to repair or replace my transmission.

Transmission: Hurth HBW 250-2R
Engine: Perkins 4.236
1979 Morgan 461
Dripless Shaft Seal

A couple of mechanics and owners have said that the transmission can be pulled, worked on in a shop, and reinstalled without hauling out (and without removing the engine). A couple of owners said that the issue is just moving the shaft back to get clearance.

One guy said that it needs hauling out. Of course, he's the boat yard owner.

Appreciate any experience/thoughts. Thanks.
TCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:53   #2

Re: Repairing Hurth HBW 250-2R

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCL View Post
I'm getting conflicting reports on whether I would need to haul out to repair or replace my transmission.

Transmission: Hurth HBW 250-2R
Engine: Perkins 4.236
1979 Morgan 461
Dripless Shaft Seal

A couple of mechanics and owners have said that the transmission can be pulled, worked on in a shop, and reinstalled without hauling out (and without removing the engine). A couple of owners said that the issue is just moving the shaft back to get clearance.

One guy said that it needs hauling out. Of course, he's the boat yard owner.

Appreciate any experience/thoughts. Thanks.
You most certainly do NOT need to haul the boat out to pull a transmission! The yard owner telling you that is either ignorant, or a lying sleaze ball trying to get your money.

Without seeing your arrangement, it is hard to say how hard it is to get it out. There are some boats where you might have to move the engine. But this transmission is not awfully heavy, and is not part of the engine mounting system.

I had a Paragon transmission on a old Westerbeke 54 HP engine that weighed 500 lbs all by itself, and incorporated the rear engine mounts. I got it out of a very tiny engine room all by myself. While in the water.

If someone is taking off the transmission, they should--as a matter of routine--change the damper plate that attaches it to the flywheel. If they don't understand that, or do not plan to do it, then find somebody better.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2018, 11:28   #3

Boat: None
Re: Repairing Hurth HBW 250-2R

The 'dripless shaft seal' is the risk. The seal requires the shaft to be aligned and putting pressure on the bellows to maintain the seal. If the seal breaks you get a lot of water coming in.

Many mechanics will not pull a transmission in the water when a dripless shaft seal is installed. The transmission company I use to work for, would not allow mechanics to take the liability risk.

So... play it safe or play it risky.
FPNC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hbw 250, hurth