Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2006, 12:45   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Hehe, yeah I new what you really meant by the alcohol. Just thought it funny. But you may have invented something new. An Alcohol slushy. Hmmmmmm.
Good thought on the extinguisher. I do happen to have a Co2 that has been decomissioned due to age, but is still full and still works. It briefly tested it to see if it was OK and was going to put it on the boat for a spare engine room extinguisher. So I could use that if I need.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 13:01   #17
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"An Alcohol slushy." In the summer I will confess to being an EPA authorized beverage disposal site, I'll gladly recycle pina coladas and margaritas, as long as they don't come out of some machine. (Honest, there are no quality standards in the US!) Being allergic to machines that go "WHIRR!" I prefer simpler drinks the rest of the year, like neat dark rum or scotch. I'm still not convinced that anything used as a worm-killer really should be imbibed...but I did hear that some clever Aztecs figured out that by sticking the worm in the bottle, they could keep visiting Norsemen out of the liquor, and that one has the ring of truth in it to me.<G>

You folks condemn CO2 bottles due to age? Here, IIRC they are low-pressure bottles and as such can be used "forever" without a hydro or anything. I find that icing a part good and hard (horn right over it) and letting it defrost (or torching it) 3x total is enough to free up anything.

Extinguishers seem to migrate into my life...last month I found five small dry chemical bottles at the trash barrel, perfectly good, just old and apparently someone put them out and replaced them. Two went to friends, three came to live with me.<G> What a b.f.MESS they make if you ever have to use them though. Ugh.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 15:10   #18

brass?

wheeler wrote ,"Actually a little heat to Brass makes Brass expand like crazy. I often heat fit Brass parts at work. "

Surely there isn't a brass anything below or hopefully above the waterline, except maybe a brass plaque in the head.

Maybe you just mis-poke and meant bronze. Brass has no place on a sailboat except for plaques and signs.

Best of luck getting her off.
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 19:13   #19

Boat: caliber 40lrc Soul Searcher
brass

sure it does as long as it doesnt get too cold it keeps your cannon balls from rolling around on the gun deck!
Old 07-08-2006, 20:01   #20
Kai Nui

A propane torch produces a very safe, and controlable amount of heat for such purposes. Simple is always better in my book.
Old 07-08-2006, 21:41   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Bronze, Brass and all the alloy's of Brass inbetween, who cares, they all expand at a similar rate.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 01:40   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Any compressed gas (think SCUBA tank) will cool when released to the atmosphere.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote