Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2014, 10:13   #16

Boat: Island Packet 35
Re: Remove Prop shaft from Hurth HBW 150 transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainjay View Post
This is a V Drive Transmission from the description that is given.

The shaft goes thru the transmission and the coupler is on the back of the transmission facing forward sometimes they have a drive saver on them as well. The coupler and drive saver if equipped will have to be removed. If it's like this one you will need to remove the set screws and the bolts. A puller can be used or if you have a new coupler and angle grinder can be used to cut it and break it off. If it has a large nut on the end of the shaft that will have to be removed as well.

Jay
If you remove the coupler and put on a new one, then you should send the coupler and shaft out to be fit and faced to the shaft.
tdoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2014, 00:04   #17
KDH

Boat: Wauquiez Centurian 42'

Started this job around the time of this post. Got the locking nut off after another boater loaned us the largest adjustable wrench I had ever seen. After the second week with no luck moving the coupling with the puller we bought (hubby had to grind down the puller "elbows" as well due to lack of space") I sent the husband down the way to book the mechanic. Another week gone by with no sign of the mechanic so hubby went back. The mechanic's brother gave us a plate type puller with the bolts. Took a good 40 minutes to get it fitted yesterday. First thing this morning while the shaft was still cold it took only 3 or 4 turns and the coupling popped loose! Will be attempting to change the bellows out today. Will also be getting a puller with the plate and bolts, rather than the spider arms and adding an angle grinder to our onboard tool kit. I think I will start another thread unless I can find an old one, that lists suggested tools for engine work. Many thanks to everyone who replied to my call for help!
KDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2014, 02:39   #18

Boat: Skookum 53'

KDH, you probably already know this, but I was going tell you to make sure that the shaft doesn't have any burrs or rough spots on it where you are going to pull your PSS off. Especially around the key ways, they can sometimes have sharp edges that can cut the "O" rings. I use dish soap as a lubricant to ease the removal.
Old 28-05-2014, 04:35   #19

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer

The easy way to unscrew coupling bolts, w/o damaging the shaft or prop, is to put a wrench onto one of the bolts, rotate the shaft until the wrench jams against the flange and the hull or stringer, then use another wrench to loosen the remaining bolts.

Ensure a seal protector is used when removing and installing the shaft, so the seal is not damaged.

On my boat I lap my coupings and props to the shaft for best fit and easy removal.
wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2014, 05:20   #20

Three-jaw pullers work better with the jaws fixed to the flange - I've used wire, cable ties, bungee, linked jubilee clips - whatever works.

Service manuals often list special tools needed - with forethought you can make your own or adapt something. A mechanic who knows the particular brand should be able to make recommendations too.

Enough tools and spares to be self-sufficient would be nice but then I'd need to repaint the boot top/tow a trailer/buy a catamaravan
bornyesterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2014, 06:16   #21

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingless View Post
Ensure a seal protector is used when removing and installing the shaft, so the seal is not damaged.
+1

Here is the seal protector I use on my boat.

wingless is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurth, transmission