Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2011, 23:49   #16

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck
Re: Rebuild Max Prop - Ouch !

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Your logic is flawed, IMHO. You reap the benefits of a Max Prop every second the boat is underway, whether motoring or sailing.
Spot on !

-Sven
Old 26-02-2011, 05:04   #17

The Propspeed works great. I boat in a very heavy fouling area (Chesapeake) and I can avoid a midseason haulout and powerwash with it (a savings of $250-300). But its neither cheap or easy: $200+ for a kit and significant work to apply.

Follow the directions to the letter. In fact, read them three times (I know, this goes against every male instinct...) Everything must be taken down to bare metal and carefully degreased and dried before application. I have never purchased/used their Propprep solution - instead I found acetone and alcohol works fine. Have everything laid out ahead of time and have a helper as you must not allow the etching primer to dry excessively before the application of the magical clear topcoat. Just approach the job the same way you approach neurosurgery and you'll do fine.
wallandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 09:22   #18

Boat: Taswell 49

Okay so I got back from PYI my rebuilt 3 bladed 21" max prop. It looks better than the new one I put on my last boat! The polish/finish is so shiny I almost hate to put the think back underwater. They replated and trued the blades and replaced nearly every component. Their tech was very responsive to me emails with questions. They gave me two options for rebuilding and the final cost was exactly what they said it would be. They shipped in on friday of last week and it showed up yesterday(monday) at my house in Annapolis. Thats UPS ground from WA? I emailed them a bunch of info on my boat and gave me a pitch recommendation that turns out to be exactly where I was ptiched and with other Wauquiez Ampitrite owners are pitched.

So all in all a very favorable experience and worth the expense in my opinion. It was certainly more than I anticipated but given the cost of replacement and the quality of the rebuild I am very satisfied.
SV Demeter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rebuild