Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 03:05   #1

Boat: Samson C-Falcon 41'9" composite ketch (designed by Cece Norris)
Re-Indexing Pump on Velvet Drive?

Our velvet drive direct drives a RH prop, (RH engine) but the lever on the box goes into the Forward position to drive in Reverse, and vice versa.

Apparently a 72C pump can be re-indexed to permit the detent control lever to be operated with the engine in reverse to go forward and vice versa. (this is otherwise a no-no).

is anyone familiar with this?

I don't have a plate on my box. the only ID is:

N1 72 1F (what do they mean?)

I am guessing that this is a 72C which predates the 1018, and can thus be re-indexed.

I am also guessing that the ratio is 1:1 (apparently if it was 2.5:1 it wouldn't be re-indexable!).

It doesn't have the roundish reduction housing on the tail end which you see on the high reduction models, but I wonder if it still has a small planetary reduction lurking in the box, which is a reluctant possibility?

So does anyone know how to adjust it, or can i just swap the RH prop for a LH prop?

Answers welcome ~
Shanaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:47   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: Re-Indexing Pump on Velvet Drive?

Yes, you can reindex some Velvet Drive transmissions. I had to do it with mine. But, before you get into it get a copy of the manual. I ordered a copy that came in CD form and it was very thorough but now isn't loading properly. I have paper manuals too.

The 71C and 72C have same output rotation as input rotation but can be indexed to accept a left hand or right hand rotation engine. In my mind this can get very confusing so I need to keep reading the manuals over and over to get it right. I would not attempt to explain it or show someone else "how to." If your transmission is a 71CR or 72CR then it is a transmission designed to operate counter to the input shaft. They are designed tha way for a twin engine operation where both engines may have the same rotation but one transmission will have a counter rotation to balance the prop walk effect at the stern.

Anyway, all that was probably not too helpful.

Good luck.
Old 09-07-2013, 03:34   #3

hi on the contrary that does make sense. I did find a manual online . as you say i have to take the box off the engine and 'follow the diagram' to make sure the top arrow points the same way as the shaft rotation. i am guessing that this redirects hydraulic pressure so that the big forward clutch is operated for forward movement (instead of the smaller rear one for the same movement ) . i assume the control lever on the box will still operate 'the wrong way'. am i on the right track?!
Old 09-07-2013, 03:35   #4

ps from whom do i order a CD manual please?
Old 09-07-2013, 04:35   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Velvet Drive Transmissions/Marine
Liberty, SC
Phone: 864-843-9234
Fax: 864-843-1276
Email: administration@velvetdrive.com
Web ➥ Velvet Drive - Marine

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 20:27   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanaly View Post
hi on the contrary that does make sense. I did find a manual online . as you say i have to take the box off the engine and 'follow the diagram' to make sure the top arrow points the same way as the shaft rotation. i am guessing that this redirects hydraulic pressure so that the big forward clutch is operated for forward movement (instead of the smaller rear one for the same movement ) . i assume the control lever on the box will still operate 'the wrong way'. am i on the right track?!
I think you have the theory right. I don't think you are going to change the rotation of the shaft by changing that pump. You will just be setting up the trans to match the engine rotation. I think with your transmission that has already been done and I believe that all you need to do is get a different prop. I can't be certain about that because I'm not a Velveeta professional expert.

Be cautious about how long you use the transmission in reverse. There could be damage if there is too much pressure or heat.
Old 13-07-2013, 04:16   #7

update - I dropped the box off and twiddled the inner circle round so 'top' now faces the opposite way, the way the shaft rotates. yippee!

question:

1 the reverse clutch overheated, so i changed the black ATF. about a teaspoon of carbon came out as well. then repeated. how to flush the box? quite expensive to use ATF for 15 minutes then to drain and chuck. . .

2 no answer from Velvet producers, does anyone know a reliable dealer for seal kits or reverse clutch pack?

thanks for all your help so far - it'll be good to screw it all back on tomorrow

J