Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2015, 08:20   #1

Boat: Tartan 30 & Columbia 26
Question about zincs

My Tartan 30 has no zinc I installed to protect the shaft and prop. The reason for this is because there is no room on the exposed shaft for a zinc, and I couldn't find any zinc configurations that would fit on the prop nut. This is obviously an undesirable setup, and until I can figure out a permanent solution I want to protect the shaft and prop as best I can.

Question, if I were to clip a wire onto the exposed shaft inside the boat, run it over the deck and into the water attached to a zinc plate, would that offer decent protection at least while the boat is in her slip? Any other ideas for curtailing corrosion?

Thanks
wristwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 08:39   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Question about zincs

Yes, that will work until you can get something better.
I usually hang a "guppy" zinc that is bonded to my boats bonding system myself. In my case it's just extra protection.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 12:00   #3
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by wristwister View Post
My Tartan 30 has no zinc I installed to protect the shaft and prop. The reason for this is because there is no room on the exposed shaft for a zinc, and I couldn't find any zinc configurations that would fit on the prop nut.
I don't understand.

fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 16:26   #4

Thanks A64. I'm assuming the ground path through the tranny into the engine isn't sufficient to just attach the clip to an engine ground correct? It needs direct connection to the shaft?

Fstbttms, the shaft and prop is an unusual configuration, with a nut that no off-the-shelf zincs will go on. I even had a couple boatyards take a look and they left scratching their heads. I could have (probably should have) come up with some custom way of applying a zinc to that nut, but I didn't. Next haul-out I will.
Old 14-08-2015, 16:51   #5
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Fstbttms, the shaft and prop is an unusual configuration, with a nut that no off-the-shelf zincs will go on. I even had a couple boatyards take a look and they left scratching their heads. I could have (probably should have) come up with some custom way of applying a zinc to that nut, but I didn't. Next haul-out I will.
The setup in the pic I posted is an anode and prop nut. It would replace whatever nut you have on there now (assuming you are running a fixed-blade prop.) I can't imagine what you have that couldn't be replaced by this.
Old 25-08-2015, 19:52   #6

Boat: Tartan 30

Yep, that's the one. If you've an Indigo prop you may not need a zinc, according to Tom. http://atomic4.com/propeller.html I've been without for almost a year, but am in brackish water and no shore power, just solar charger, so not as harsh. I've got a hull cleaning this week, diver will also check prop to see how it's holding up.
GuidoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 11:59   #7

Just to follow up on my thread here, I've had my zinc guppy in the water about a week and a half now, clamped to the prop shaft. That thing looks like **** already! It's apparently working great. Makes me wonder how often I'll be replacing zinc guppies.
Old 28-08-2015, 12:14   #8
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Just to follow up on my thread here, I've had my zinc guppy in the water about a week and a half now, clamped to the prop shaft. That thing looks like **** already! It's apparently working great. Makes me wonder how often I'll be replacing zinc guppies.
A guppy anode is a substantial piece of metal and should last a long time. If yours is truly depleting rapidly, it's indicative of a problem.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:00   #9

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

could set a carbon brush to propshaft and then rig a thru-hull machine screw with zinc outboard. I just did this on my boat for a seacock worry. I will PM th article I wrote.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	401.0 KB
ID:	108243  
sanibel sailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 10:08   #10

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

More pic
Attached Thumbnails