Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2011, 21:16   #1

Boat: catalina 38
Pulling Wheel on Catalina

I am having a challenge pulling the wheel on my 79 catalina 38 to install wheel auto pilot. Not sure if it has some kind of key but I have used antisieze spray, bent a smaller kragen gear puller 10 times, and tried the 'putting the nut back on ..rapping with a hammer while pulling wheel up with knees trick'. Only thing I can think of is larger mallet and larger gear puller. Anyone with knowledge on this system, edson and catalina, is there some key?? any help appreciated.
offgrid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 04:27   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: pulling wheel on catalina

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, offgrid64.

See the Edson Instructions ➥ http://www.edsonmarine.com/support/P...aftRemoval.pdf

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 04:54   #3

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

offgrid64,

The Edson pedestal has a strait shaft with a 1/4 key. They get pretty corroded from salt. Have to use a heavy duty puller.

Mark
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 06:42   #4

thanks mark, I don't see any key on the shaft housing as the edson manual indicates. As I look straight at the shaft and from the front of the wheel hub there is a small 1/4" rectangular hole notch. Behind the wheel when I slide the shaft housing forward 1/8", there is a skinny slit also about 1/4 " in length , but very thin, maybe a 16th". I don't quite see any 'key' ? I want to be sure I'm not missing something before using a huge gear puller.
Old 22-09-2011, 07:18   #5

i understand the keyed shaft /keyway notch on the wheel concept if that's what I'm looking at, but don't see any way I'm supposed to rotate the wheel against the shaft to line these up?
Old 22-09-2011, 07:34   #6

i was assuming it was edson pedestal but there are 'yacht specialties company inc.' logo on wheel and sticker on pedestal
Old 22-09-2011, 07:45   #7

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

offgrid64,

My Catalina 380 had the Edson pedestal and Edson wheel. The 1/4 key stays on the shaft as the wheel slides off the straight shaft. Once you take it off and clean it up the wheel will slide on and off with ease. Recommend cleaning and greasing the shaft once a year so you will never have to use the puller again.

Mark
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 07:46   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Yacht Specialties Co (Merriman) installation instructions
http://home.comcast.net/~wb3awj/SBO/...structions.pdf

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2011, 06:12   #9

Re: Pulling Wheel on Catalina

GOT IT OFF! went to napa auto parts and purchased Performance Tool part # w87126 2/3 jaw gear puller for about $40. Much more heavy duty heat treated steel, and the jaw arms are curved in to resist the toggles slipping off. It has a 3 1/4" reach and 7" spread. The wheel came off like butter. Hopefully someone else with the same problem can find this helpful. Already installed my ray marine x5 auto pilot. Thanks all for the great advice!
pete
Old 03-10-2011, 23:01   #10

Boat: Catalina 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by offgrid64
i was assuming it was edson pedestal but there are 'yacht specialties company inc.' logo on wheel and sticker on pedestal
Probably, your boat has been retrofitted with that pedestal. The original pedestal on a C38 is an, at least the 80's models, but I do know of a 79 C38 with the same pedestal that you have.
I went trough the same steering pain a few years ago. Now, i just put some grease every once in a while, and that's it! What's your boat name???
Old 05-10-2011, 10:41   #11

Re: Pulling Wheel on Catalina

thanks for the info max. Definately keeping it greased and also keeping the gear puller on board in case of steering failure and I need to remove the wheel to make room for the tiller. My boat presently is not named but will be by next season. I've owned it about 7 years, it has been named 'loan shark' and also 'sorrare' in the past and was out of seal beach. It is hull # 17. I have been doing local ocean cruising in nor cal the last few seasons and hope to do mexico next fall, haven't ruled out this fall. I see you have the same boat! what side of costa rica are you on? How does it handle in the waters there?
Old 05-10-2011, 16:04   #12

Boat: Catalina 38
I just sent a PM, please confirm that you get it! I been having problem with the private messages. They have been sent to other members instead of the one I send it to..

Tags
catalina, wheel