Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2021, 04:01   #31

Boat: Boreal 52
Re: PSS shaft seal adjustment

Thanks, Jim. I'd thought about uw epoxy, but really didn't want to lock the screw in too tight (it's only a small allen key, which can be easily stripped if too much torque is needed to loosen), or to fill the allen hex hole with epoxy. I tried Mark's teflon tape idea, and it seems to be effective in stopping the drip.

As far as PSS seals in general, I think they're pretty good....we installed one on our old boat without problems, and we know many owners who are happy. In the case we're dealing with now, I'm convinced it was an error caused in the initial installation. (this is in line with several other sloppy errors which we've found post launch.....) Cheers!
svbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2021, 04:07   #32

Boat: Boreal 52
Re: PSS shaft seal adjustment

Quote:
Originally Posted by markxengineerin View Post
teflon tape around set screw? Worth a shot before haul out
Mark. I tried the teflon tape, and it seems to be working at stopping the leaks from the screw holes. Cool!

If we weren't at a marina with a shipyard (with an 820 TON (!!!) travel lift), I'd call it good until our next haul out. The thing that I'm concerned about is the water that is now trapped between the steel disk and the prop shaft. We already notice some rust staining when the drips are dried with a paper towel. I don't want to trap this water for months, which could definitely cause crevice corrosion of the shaft. This could at the very least cause difficulty in getting a good seal when we finally replace the o rings. We had this happen on a previous boat's prop shaft. So I think we'll try to haul out next week if we can locate the correct o-rings here in the Canaries. If not, we'll call it good until the next haul out. Cheers!
svbravo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, shaft seal