Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2019, 00:44   #1

Propeller size , could someone help me out

On my Jeanneau 40DS I have a 3 blade propeller that has one blade off set , I therefor would like to replace the prop. but don't seem to find the right specs .
On the picture you see the markings ' OTE 13R Radice ' , and that's about it I could find .
I'm sure more boaters navigate with this type of propeller , does anyone know the exact specifics so I can order a new one and have it ready for the next haul out .
I contacted Eliche Radice the manufacturer but no reply .

Thanks
bobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 01:27   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Propeller size , could someone help me out

Bobs, Eliche Radice are I think an Italian firm. I have previously tried to buy directly from them, but they refused and directed me to the UK importer.

Given you're in the EU, you might try contacting Sillette who are the UK importer and normally very helpful:

https://www.sillette.co.uk/propeller...ion_index.html
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 01:27   #3

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 48

Internet search gat this:-

For the Jeanneau Sun Odynney 40 with a Yanmar 4JH3E (55 HP by 3800 RPM, reduction 1:2,63) we would recommend a 3-blade 18x13-3R propeller

Read more: Propeller for Sun Odyssey 40 | Jeanneau Owners Forum
paulajayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 01:45   #4

Thanks Pete , will contact them .

Paul , would that mean the number 13 on my prop. stands for the pitch and NOT the diameter ?

Thanks
Old 10-04-2019, 03:07   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Yes, for the prop Paul has quoted it is: diameter 18", pitch 13", number of blades 3 and rotation Right hand.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 05:23   #6

Wow , I just got an answer from Silette after giving them the details of my boat like length , engine , gearbox etc.
This is what they suggest.

" We therefore propose an ELICHE RADICE E13 3 blade propeller with a 52% DAR
(standard turbine propeller) size 22 X 18 RH. "

I have the feeling that the number OTE 13 has nothing to do with diameter or pitch but the ... E13 refers to the type of propeller . Not sure what the ' OT ' stands for though .
The mist is clearing up Pete , thanks for the Silette-link .

Regards
Old 10-04-2019, 09:42   #7

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel

General rule of thumb is to swing the largest diameter prop that will fit and then pitch it to achieve max (or near max) rpm with a clean bottom. This gives maximum efficiency. To determine the diameter, measure from center of the prop shaft to top of deadwood Double this number then deduct 10% and that's your diameter. Pitch is somewhat hit and miss but there are calculators out there based on LWL, HP, displacement, etc. If you can't achieve max rpm you're pitched too much and are overloading the engine. If over-reving, you need more pitch. In very general terms, each inch of pitch is worth around 200 rpm. Dave Gerr has an excellent reference book on prop selection, "The Propeller Handbook".
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 09:48   #8

Having one blade a bit (or a lot!) bent is not a good reason to buy a new prop! Any good prop shop can straighten and rebalance this and have it as good as new for a fraction of the cost.

I have seen some truly amazing repairs done on props. You owe it to your wallet to look into repair instead of replacement.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 13:46   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Wot post no. 8 says. Way cheaper to repair. You can check on the vicprop calc ( google it)for pitch & dia
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 14:14   #10

Boat: 2004 Steber 2200 Persuader

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
Having one blade a bit (or a lot!) bent is not a good reason to buy a new prop! Any good prop shop can straighten and rebalance this and have it as good as new for a fraction of the cost.

I have seen some truly amazing repairs done on props. You owe it to your wallet to look into repair instead of replacement.
My thoughts precisely, they can even change the pitch within reason
Marc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 15:55   #11
cruiser

try this one....

https://www.elicheradice.com/product...ze-propellers/

https://www.sillette.co.uk/documents...ellers_000.pdf

Gruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 23:39   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmojo View Post
General rule of thumb is to swing the largest diameter prop that will fit and then pitch it to achieve max (or near max) rpm with a clean bottom. This gives maximum efficiency. To determine the diameter, measure from center of the prop shaft to top of deadwood Double this number then deduct 10% and that's your diameter. Pitch is somewhat hit and miss but there are calculators out there based on LWL, HP, displacement, etc. If you can't achieve max rpm you're pitched too much and are overloading the engine. If over-reving, you need more pitch. In very general terms, each inch of pitch is worth around 200 rpm. Dave Gerr has an excellent reference book on prop selection, "The Propeller Handbook".
Well...sorry to say this, but this is not the way you should run a correct propeller sizing as you could incur in too high peripheral speed, cavitation and noise.
To correctly size your prop there are some tools available on the net, should you like to use ours, you can find it here Calculate your propeller
Recommended distance to the hull is 15% of the diameter, in case of small aperture the minimum should be 12%
EWOL Props is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:29   #13
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWOL Props View Post

To correctly size your prop there are some tools available on the net, should you like to use ours, you can find it here Calculate your propeller
O.K, but why I have to give you my... Name, Surname, E-mail, Telephone, Country...just to calculate propeller size for my boat.

For heaven sake people (companies, businesses), what is wrong with you. Just wont to check propeller size, not asking for bone marrow donor. What you are going to ask next, my PIN number and bank account details.
Gruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 11:42   #14

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruz View Post
O.K, but why I have to give you my... Name, Surname, E-mail, Telephone, Country...just to calculate propeller size for my boat.

For heaven sake people (companies, businesses), what is wrong with you. Just wont to check propeller size, not asking for bone marrow donor. What you are going to ask next, my PIN number and bank account details.
Anyone know of a propeller manufacturer in Nigeria??
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 15:58   #15

Boat: 2004 Steber 2200 Persuader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruz View Post

I agree. Common practice with most websites who give you some little thing and in turn harvest as much as possible for their data bank for alternative purposes, be it genuine commercial or less genuine we don't know.

Either avoid, or give fake information. My date of birth is usually 01/01/1991 and my email eatmyshirt@google.com.mn
Marc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propeller, rope, size