I have fixed, 2 blade
stock props on a Lagoon 380 Catamaran
. I've been researching a variety of prop upgrades, but haven't been able to justify the expense, based on my Cost/Benefit review. $1,425 X 2 = $2,850 for Kiwiprop, $2,700 X 2 = $5,400 for Gori (3 blade), etc. My questions / concerns follow:
1) Will a folding prop fail to open or unfold once aged with barnacles
, growth and seaweed? Seems that the exposed rotating gears in folding props would create a new maintenance
2) Will I only increase my sailing speed 1/2 knot
? That speed increase doesn't seem worth it.
3) I've heard conflicting reports regarding whether my motoring speed will increase or decrease. I would hope that going from a 2 blade
to a 3 blade
would increase speed, particularly where there is a strong current
4) I've heard that the Gori props would give me a more powerful reverse, when the Kiwiprop a less powerful reverse?
5) Are the folding props, like Gori, fixable locally or do you have to send them back to Gori if damaged or bent?
6) Fixed props only have the pressed in hub and pitch
to worry about. With all of the moving parts
on the feathering and folding props, is there a lot of maintenance
7) If you have folding or feathering props, did they meet your expectations or would you gladly take your money
8) Does it make more sense to get 3 blade
for the additional torque?
Since these after market props are a costly option, I would appreciate input from experience to justify or rationalize the cost, if it can be justified.