Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2013, 12:53   #1

Prop stuck on shaft

Hello,

I just got the nut off this afternoon (long story), and then tapped on the front of the prop of my Tartan 27 with a hammer. It didn't budge. I sprayed it with some WD-40 and came home.

If the WD-40 doesn't loosen it ( I will check Saturday), would it be okay to put a torch on it to try to expand the prop and loosen it with some more tapping?

Also, are there any concerns about striking the front of the prop (on the blade next to the hub)? Can I hammer away, or do I have to be gentle? The prop appears to be bronze.

Thanks,

Alan Gilmore
Baltimore
agilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 12:57   #2

Boat: grampian 26
Re: Prop stuck on shaft

Never beat on the prop unless you plan on having it re pitched. Use a proper puller. They are not hard to make or use.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 13:09   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Prop puller and heat.Tighten puller apply heat leave prop nut on end of shaft so prop does not fly off and injure someone.Tapping sometimes necssary from behind justt lightly.Also watch out for puller as prop comes loose.Beating on prop can damage prop and possibly shaft coupling.
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 13:47   #4

Boat: no i do not need finacing

pb blaster has always proved to be better than wd 40 , thats for uses on the farm and equipment
Oogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 13:57   #5

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by agilmore View Post
Hello,

I just got the nut off this afternoon (long story), and then tapped on the front of the prop of my Tartan 27 with a hammer. It didn't budge. I sprayed it with some WD-40 and came home.

If the WD-40 doesn't loosen it ( I will check Saturday), would it be okay to put a torch on it to try to expand the prop and loosen it with some more tapping?

Also, are there any concerns about striking the front of the prop (on the blade next to the hub)? Can I hammer away, or do I have to be gentle? The prop appears to be bronze.

Thanks,

Alan Gilmore
Baltimore
Buy a OEM 25919 Long 2/3 Jaw Gear Puller

Just Google OEM 25919 to see who sells them in your area. Just about every Autoparts or Sears store sells them.

Your shaft is tapered, so that is why it will not come off with a hammer.

I used this OEM 25919 Long 2/3 Jaw Gear Puller on my Catalina 380 every few years to pull the 18d x 12p Right Hand three Blade Bronze prop on a 1-1/4" stainless steel drive shaft. Just use an adjustable wrench in the puller nut and turn it until it gets tight. Then Pop, it will drop right in your hands. Works everytime.

http://www.amazon.com/OEM-25919-Long-Gear-Puller/dp/B0014WDK5A
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OEM_25919_puller_1.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	54770   Click image for larger version

Name:	Catalina380_Prop_1.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	293.5 KB
ID:	54771  

Name:	Catalina380_Prop_2.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	284.7 KB
ID:	54772   Click image for larger version

Name:	Catalina380_Prop_3.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	278.9 KB
ID:	54773  

Name:	Catalina380_Prop_4.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	301.5 KB
ID:	54774  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 14:08   #6

Boat: Alberg 30
We use a simple puller for props on up to 3" shafts. Much better than the gear pullers and not expensive to make. Same for couplings as well.

Two disks of metal, one with a U cut out, the other with a center threaded bolt. They get joined with threaded rod and work great! I'll try to get a pic later.
Tighten right up, then start to heat with torch. Bang! Off she comes.

Safety: ALWAYS put the nut on the shaft part way, before using a puller leave only a 1/2" gap at most and keep clear. When the prop moves it will do so quickly. No nut can mean a dropped prop and tools at best, serious injury at worst.
jgbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 14:13   #7

Boat: SeaWind 850

Quote:
Hello,

Thanks,

Alan Gilmore
Baltimore
Hi There,
-Check if shaft is tapered or paraller
-If tapered, apply hammer to central tensoning bolt of bearing/prop puller (after whole asembly was tensioned) no need for heat.
-If paraller heat will be needed to slide prop off all the way . Bronz will conduct heat to the shaft quickly, work fast, after each gain of movement cool shaft, retension puller, heat...and so on.
cszosler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 18:51   #8

I found a gear puller at a local Auto Zone that looked almost identical to the photo that Cotemar posted, except it had two pullers instead of three. I put the prop nut on as suggested, with about a quarter inch of gap. Then I held the puller in place while my son tightened as much as he could. Nothing. So, I got out the propane torch and heated the hub, being careful not to let the keel or rudder get any of the heat. I alternated the heat, 20 seconds on one side of the hub, then the other, alternating back and forth. We waited, and waited. Maybe 2 or 3 minutes. Maybe I didn't read the posts correctly. Maybe the torch wasn't hot enough. Maybe you guys didn't know what you were talking about. Maybe . . . BANG! It popped off. Wow, we both jumped. Cool stuff. We laughed.

So, thank you to each of you for your input. It is sweeeeet when things go exactly like they should.

Sorry I ever doubted,

Alan Gilmore
Old 16-02-2013, 20:01   #9

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Theres a tool for every job! And good tools, like a puller, will work on a bunch of jobs aboard !! get one and lube it up and wrap it up, and stow it in the engine room or where ever ya keep your tools!! Ive had the two I have for so long I don't even remember where I bought them or what I paid for them LOL Tools like this are worth there weight in gold when your broke down or somebody ya know is down and needs a puller!! well worth what ya pay for em! and withjust a little care will last forever!! just my 2 cents
Old 16-02-2013, 20:05   #10

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

I thought I knew better. I beat on it and bent my prop shaft. It cost me $2000.00 for another haul out, a shaft, an intermediate bearing, and a used prop to fit the new shaft that was machined properly unlike the one that I bent. Lesson learned.
I could have had it straightened but there were plenty of other problems with the shaft.
Old 16-02-2013, 20:40   #11

Boat: Island Packet 37 - Finistere
This is the one I have used for years.

http://www.deepblueyachtsupply.com/p...-plate-pullers

Name:	image-4039931657.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	55014
Finistere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 22:22   #12

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Send a message via Skype™ to surfmachine

Hi, some nuts have a grub screw in them, hidden amongst all the paint and barnacles?
Keith.
Old 17-02-2013, 06:25   #13

Cotemar,

BTW, looking at the photos you posted, I noticed a gear thingy in front of the prop. I am wondering what function it performs?

Alan Gilmore
Old 17-02-2013, 06:26   #14
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
BTW, looking at the photos you posted, I noticed a gear thingy in front of the prop. I am wondering what function it performs?
It's a line cutter.

I'm more interested in knowing why he uses 3 shaft zincs and why one is intentionally rotated 90 degrees as compared to the other two.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 06:30   #15

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

That is a Shaft Shark line cutter for when you run into a lobster pot line.
It will cut the line.

Shaft Shark | AB Marine 747 Aquidneck Avenue, Middletown, RI 02842 USA Tel: 800-801-8922
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote