Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2013, 07:30   #16

Boat: Currently boatless
Re: Prop stuck on shaft

Pro-Pull worked well for me.

When you're ready to replace the prop, look at MaineSail's http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/fitting_a_prop. Also, I found that 1) smearing some Tefgel on the shaft before installing the prop and 2) removing the prop each year to polish and check the balance makes the job easier next time.
Old 17-02-2013, 07:45   #17
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
Pro-Pull worked well for me.

When you're ready to replace the prop, look at MaineSail's Lap Fitting A Propeller To A Shaft Photo Gallery by Compass Marine at pbase.com. Also, I found that 1) smearing some Tefgel on the shaft before installing the prop and 2) removing the prop each year to polish and check the balance makes the job easier next time.
You should never grease the prop or shaft when installing a prop. The tolerances are so close that grease may not allow the prop to seat fully. And BTW- the prop is not supposed to be easy to remove. You want it too stay where it is.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 08:12   #18

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
You should never grease the prop or shaft when installing a prop. The tolerances are so close that grease may not allow the prop to seat fully. And BTW- the prop is not supposed to be easy to remove. You want it too stay where it is.
The prop seems to be hard enough to remove even with the tefgel coating. Also, the retaining nut is pinned, so I don't think there's any danger of the prop falling off.
Old 17-02-2013, 08:15   #19
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
The prop seems to be hard enough to remove even with the tefgel coating. Also, the retaining nut is pinned, so I don't think there's any danger of the prop falling off.
Yes, because nobody ever loses a prop.

But hey, it's your boat and your dime. Just telling you what the largest propeller repair facility on the West Coast told me.
Old 17-02-2013, 08:20   #20

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

I use a gear puller similar to that pictured by Cotemar. Got mine on Ebay, had to modify them slightly to fit my 22- 24" props.

But I want to comment on "beating" a prop with a hammer or for that matter anything. If you're banging on the back side of the prop hoping to extract it via hammer blows with or without using a puller of some sorts, you are at risk of damaging your transmission. Think about it.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 08:26   #21

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

I need to pull my props before spring launch. Before I reinstall them, I am going to lap fit them to the shafts using valve grinding compound. Hopefully that will lessen future removal work.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 10:18   #22

Boat: O’Day Daysailer II, 17'

If you took a hammer to the propeller, find a propeller repair shop that has one of these. The service does not cost much: Prop Straightener
westwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 10:36   #23

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
I need to pull my props before spring launch. Before I reinstall them, I am going to lap fit them to the shafts using valve grinding compound. Hopefully that will lessen future removal work.
Actually it should make it more difficult. The tapered shaft with a close fit is supposed to be sufficient to hold the prop and keep it from rotating on the shaft. The shaft key is just backup. You should be able to have a keyless installation that works just fine with a precise taper fit.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 11:59   #24
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
The tapered shaft with a close fit is supposed to be sufficient to hold the prop and keep it from rotating on the shaft. The shaft key is just backup.
Well, I gotta say I've never heard that one before.
Old 17-02-2013, 17:11   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
Actually it should make it more difficult. The tapered shaft with a close fit is supposed to be sufficient to hold the prop and keep it from rotating on the shaft. The shaft key is just backup. You should be able to have a keyless installation that works just fine with a precise taper fit.
Not if a rope or net got caught in the propeller
Old 17-02-2013, 18:14   #26

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

In my earlier days, I tried to use an automotive generic, one size fits all puller...Useless!
Finally made my own puller out of SS and while I was at it made my own flange puller for removing the flange to the transmission on the other end of the prop shaft. there is nothing more frustrating than trying to do "boat yoga" in a cramped engine area to remove that damn flange
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New ideas 002.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	55073   Click image for larger version

Name:	New ideas 003.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	176.4 KB
ID:	55074  

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 18:19   #27

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
In my earlier days, I tried to use an automotive generic, one size fits all puller...Useless!
Finally made my own puller out of SS and while I was at it made my own flange puller for removing the flange to the transmission on the other end of the prop shaft. there is nothing more frustrating than trying to do "boat yoga" in a cramped engine area to remove that damn flange
Very nice work you do. SS also.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 18:28   #28

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

Nice tool!
Old 17-02-2013, 18:36   #29

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
I made one too.

It also pushes and pulls my cutlass bearing. Everybody should have one!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	puller.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	402.1 KB
ID:	55075  
Old 17-02-2013, 18:39   #30

Quote:
Maybe this is your boat yoga, loosen the bolts holding the propeller shaft flange and put a socket in there after you take the shaft nut out, then reassemble with longer bolts for the flange connection and tighten. This will force the flange off the propeller shaft as you tighten the bolts.