Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2016, 13:55   #16

Boat: H36
Re: Prop Manufacturer Quality - Fixed props

Just as a performance guide your speed is a just by 3 seconds a mile in PHRF racing handy cap. I have always been a fan of a narrow two bladed sailor prop. Would like a feathering three blade but it is more dollars than I wan't to part with.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailor Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 16:47   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackheape View Post
I am getting ready myself to switch from a 2 blade to 3. I currently have a 2 blade, 15" RH. I have done a lot of research about this, and from what I have found, for me anyway, is it comes down to 2 choices. Either a Michigan Wheel, or a Campbell sailor. The Campbell sailor has really good reviews from every where I can see. It has less drag as well. It costs more though. To get the Campbell Sailor they recommended ( I would have do a prop calc for you, its free and they get right back to you) a 14", 7.5" pitch, for $695 (includes shipping). I can get a Michigan Wheel 15" 3 blade for about $500. Campbell has a unique design with cupped blades that supposedly reduces drag. This is what the rep said;

"The Campbell Sailer has cupped blades and a leading edge foil. This produces greater thrust and reduces the slip rate. To account for this, we often size smaller than other manufacturers for a given installation.

Many users report greater thrust, improved maneuvering and a smoother running installation with a Campbell prop. Also, the narrow blade profile allows for reduced drag under sail. Up to 35-40% less when compared to equivalent size units from other manufacturers."

I think I am going to go with them because all I have heard is good reviews about their props.
For those prices you have spent a considerable fraction of the cost of a new feathering prop. Or you can go to a junk yard and pick one up for $20.

Seriously, when we swapped out to a feathering prop the junk places wouldn't even take it for free. They told me the scrap value wasn't worth the manpower to deal with it.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 17:15   #18

Boat: Union cutter 33

Can u tell me will the prop shaft turn with a 3 or 4 blade prop we now have a 2blade folding prop and were thinking of changing...weeds foul folding prop and this can be issue .
rosatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 17:40   #19

If you don't get diameter and pitch right it can cause problems. Think of as it as a car transmission. Stuck in first you are reving and not going fast. Stuck in sixth and the engine is lugging. I have seen two many sailors over prop and destroy engine.
Agree folding props can not work when needed.

Old 06-04-2016, 18:41   #20

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

We looked carefully at a good folding prop - did lots of research and asked a bunch of questions but when it came time to decide on a purchase two things occurred to me:

1. Could I really justify spending 2 or 3 (or 4!) thousand dollars on a folding or feathering prop to gain .5 knot in light breezes? On the few potential long coconut milk run passages you are only saving 2 days at most, maybe a week over two circumnavigations. I just don't see the value for our slower heavier boat.

2. Did I really want a complex piece of expensive machinery fixed onto the bottom of my boat?

I get the feathering prop thing but its not for us on this particular boat. If we had a gunboat it would probably be a no-brainer.

The 18x10 is the recommended size prop for our engine and boat after speaking with Michigan Wheel. I had not even heard of the new Campbell prop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Doug View Post
Just as a performance guide your speed is a just by 3 seconds a mile in PHRF racing handy cap. I have always been a fan of a narrow two bladed sailor prop. Would like a feathering three blade but it is more dollars than I wan't to part with.
Sailor Doug, we don't race... what is the implication of that? Is three seconds small or a lot?
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 18:52   #21

If you don't race you don't need a fancy prop. My comment was just to qualify a speed difference.
A feathering prop offers a lot of advantage if you motor a lot, reduces fuel burn.

Old 03-10-2016, 13:33   #22

Boat: J/88

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosatte View Post
Can u tell me will the prop shaft turn with a 3 or 4 blade prop we now have a 2blade folding prop and were thinking of changing...weeds foul folding prop and this can be issue .
Rosatte,
We are in Belleville as well and I have been wondering about weeds and folders. We were previously in Brighton and the basin we were in got so weedy that I had to clean the raw water strainer every time out! I wanted to try a different prop preferring a folder or feathering prop but had worried about it getting wound up with weeds.

Have you had a problem or are you just worried like me?
Dan
Old 03-10-2016, 14:07   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Doug View Post
If you don't race you don't need a fancy prop. My comment was just to qualify a speed difference.
A feathering prop offers a lot of advantage if you motor a lot, reduces fuel burn.

How does a feathering prop reduce fuel burn? All but one feathering I know of are less efficient than a good fixed blade prop.
In fact I believe that just motoring, you cannot beat a fixed prop, it will have the least fuel burn of any prop there is.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote