Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2012, 05:44   #1

Boat: 35 FT SAILING CATAMARAN
Prop falling off Volvo sail drive

This is the second time we have had a prop fall off our sail drive.
We are installing it correctly, using the cone, plastic washer and caps crew provided for installation. I am really putting a lot of force to tighten the cap screw as well so it is concerning that I have now lost two props.

If anyone has overcome this issue or has some advice on how to stop it from happening again I would love to hear what you have to say.
shaun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:53   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Re: Prop falling off Volvo sail drive

Are you using some loctite on the cap screw? You need to put a small amount of it, not the permanent stuff, but one of the blue versions, when installing.

The same goes with the screws on the zinc, at least on the 120s saildrive with the solid zinc. Just a little bit of the stuff works for me.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:21   #3

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

I read your post and I am not sure if you forgot to mention it or not but there is suppost to be a Stainless steel washer with metal tabs on the forward side of the prop nut cone that locks the prop into place, then screw the cone on, then the SS screw that goes into the center of it all. At least in my application, the plastic washer between the prop and the cone prop nut was not used but was supplied when I bought a new nut. However the SS washer with locking tabs was not suplied and I had to buy it seperate.
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:07   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall
Are you using some loctite on the cap screw? You need to put a small amount of it, not the permanent stuff, but one of the blue versions, when installing.

The same goes with the screws on the zinc, at least on the 120s saildrive with the solid zinc. Just a little bit of the stuff works for me.

Chris
Will definitely put extra red locktite on the Allan head screw, thanks.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:08   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman
I read your post and I am not sure if you forgot to mention it or not but there is suppost to be a Stainless steel washer with metal tabs on the forward side of the prop nut cone that locks the prop into place, then screw the cone on, then the SS screw that goes into the center of it all. At least in my application, the plastic washer between the prop and the cone prop nut was not used but was supplied when I bought a new nut. However the SS washer with locking tabs was not suplied and I had to buy it seperate.
If our model is the same as yours we have never had that washer supplied, I will look into this, thanks Rocketman
Old 08-11-2012, 05:38   #6

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

The washer is a very thin stainless steal, with locking tabs around the outside, the hole on the inside is made to match the spline's on the prop shaft. I don't have the boat anymore that had this Volvo sail drive and I can't remember the model but without this washer, I can't imagine how the prop would be locked well enough without it. Hope this helps, if I remember correctly, the parts diagram did not show the washer very well, and may be mistaking the plastic washer for the SS one. Like I said before, the plastic washer that was supplied with the prop nut did not get used on my boat because there wasn't enough room for it. I assumed it would be used with differnt prop combo's but in my case there wasn't enough prop shaft sticking out to use it.
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:05   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

We also have never had a washer with locking tabs.

Make sure the locktite you us is NOT the perminant stuff, but the removable kind. You should be able to turn it without applying heat.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:53   #8

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Maybe this may help you see the ss lock wash with foldable tabs.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post803465
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, volvo