Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2020, 16:51   #1

Pink Strut - Replace or...?

Recently checked out a boat that I thought might be THE ONE. It’s a 10 Y/O Jeanneau. During my examination of the boat and some fairly prudent due process, it appeared to me that possibly maintenance on the boat had been neglected. Initially the selling broker was a bit coy regarding the boat’s background. There were no service records available, except the prop had recently been replaced. Of course I asked why. The broker finally provided a very recent survey - in which the surveyor noted the propeller and strut had no zincs, and both were pink. I was able to obtain photos (see attached). The surveyor noted that the prop made a dull thud when tapped. So... apparently they replaced the prop. Good. Right? But what about that strut? If the prop was shot, is there any reason to believe that the strut is any better off? I have not put an offer on the boat. I don’t want to go to the expense of a survey/haul out etc if it is something I should just walk away from. So...

Is there any way to positively identify the level of damage to the strut? Or is it assumed, and prudence would dictate it’s replacement? (my opinion). How big of an issue is replacing it? Anyone have any knowledge on how Jeanneau hangs these struts - and how big of a job it is to replace? (I would not be doing it myself). Just trying to determine if there is any reason to pursue a boat that holds our attention.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	242206B3-4E3F-4B4F-A8BE-5DD941A7E942.jpeg
Views:	283
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	209147  
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 08:34   #2

Re: Pink Strut - Replace or...?

Bump.
Old 21-02-2020, 09:29   #3

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37

I'd be vary wary of what other "items" are lurking if they couldn't be bothered to change zincs.

It is possible it was in a very hot marina and they simply forgot to check the zincs. It is also possible that the boat has electrical problems causing zincs to be eaten away too quickly.

Everything can be fixed, but it is a question of how much time and/or money you are willing to throw at it. Owning a boat is quite often an experience of paying for the previous owner's sins.

I'd plan on replacing the strut, thoroughly inspecting the shaft, and thoroughly inspecting all underwater metals on the boat (through-hulls, dynaplates, bow thrusters, rudder mounting points, etc.). I'd also look at the engine cooling system to be sure it is still fine (there are usually zincs inside the heat exchanges that may have been neglected)
Excalibur5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 09:38   #4

Yes replace that strut, the pink means it has issues. Unless that is actually primer paint not pink brass/bronze.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 09:50   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Pink can be a sign of brass dezincification, a serious form of corrosion.
Dezincification is typically defined as the leaching of zinc, from copper alloys, in an aqueous solution.
Brass is the generic term for a range of copper-zinc alloys, with differing combinations of additional metals.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 10:21   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur5 View Post
I'd be vary wary of what other "items" are lurking if they couldn't be bothered to change zincs. Excalibur5 - Yes... your post is very similar to a discussion my wife and I had. And we’ve had a boat with “past sins”... so fully understand. We would definitely in-depth survey the rest of the boat thoroughly. I’m trying to see if this one issue is a deal killer.

It is possible it was in a very hot marina and they simply forgot to check the zincs. It is also possible that the boat has electrical problems causing zincs to be eaten away too quickly. Other noted issues - ie: hull growth leads me to believe it is a neglect issue. Bottom wasn’t tended to for unknown length of time

Everything can be fixed, but it is a question of how much time and/or money you are willing to throw at it. Owning a boat is quite often an experience of paying for the previous owner's sins.

I'd plan on replacing the strut, thoroughly inspecting the shaft, and thoroughly inspecting all underwater metals on the boat (through-hulls, dynaplates, bow thrusters, rudder mounting points, etc.). I'd also look at the engine cooling system to be sure it is still fine (there are usually zincs inside the heat exchanges that may have been neglected)

I appreciate your general response, but looking for answers to my questions as originally posted
Old 21-02-2020, 10:32   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Pink can be a sign of brass dezincification, a serious form of corrosion.
Dezincification is typically defined as the leaching of zinc, from copper alloys, in an aqueous solution.
Brass is the generic term for a range of copper-zinc alloys, with differing combinations of additional metals.
Thank you for your response. I am aware of what this is. What I cannot find, and maybe I should have been more specific - are there any tests for the level of damage to the strut? Would a short term zinc failure (absence) cause a superficial impact? Or is there no simple test to determine? While you can “ping” a prop blade and listen for what it sounds like, a P-strut anchored at both ends will not have an easily discernible sound quality. And, if replacement is in order, is this a major - hole-in-the-boat kind of operation? Again - thank you for any input
Old 21-02-2020, 10:47   #8

If it was your boat, you would grind a bit of metal away, and see if you found "good" metal below, if not grind a bit more.. until you gave up and replaced it or were satisfied with what you found.

If you are buying the boat then you budget for replacement. Nothing else makes sense.

Replacing a strut is a major "hole in the boat" kind of project, how bad depends on exactly how it is mounted.

I assume you have checked all the thru-hulls for similar problems...

P.S.: The broker is a sleezeball for not sharing the recent survey up front. That is just unethical.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 10:48   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Yes replace that strut, the pink means it has issues. Unless that is actually primer paint not pink brass/bronze.
Nope... definitely not paint. In regards to your answer - is that based on a knowledge that there is no technology to assess the damage? Or just a standard response (and my past belief) that it has signs of dezincification - and industry standard(?) dictates replacement? Not trying to argue one way or the other. I’m just trying to ascertain what the practice is, and what, IF ANY, testing process may be out there. Original survey gave the common, generic statement to “repair or replace”. Several inquiries so far have resulted in “good question... not sure”. Apparently normally seen in props and through-hulls and the common result is replacement. AND... is this a major undertaking, or something closer to changing out a through-hull?
Old 21-02-2020, 11:10   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
If it was your boat, you would grind a bit of metal away, and see if you found "good" metal below, if not grind a bit more.. until you gave up and replaced it or were satisfied with what you found.

If you are buying the boat then you budget for replacement. Nothing else makes sense. This was our (wife and I) original thought as we discussed whether or not to put in an offer. Trying to see what options we have to determine actual damage and estimate cost.

Replacing a strut is a major "hole in the boat" kind of project, how bad depends on exactly how it is mounted. Which would move it from the “maybe” category to the “there are other boats out there” category

I assume you have checked all the thru-hulls for similar problems...
Absolutely. I spent several hours on board examining everything I could access without tools

P.S.: The broker is a sleezeball for not sharing the recent survey up front. That is just unethical.
Yeah. Sadly - my experience is most are only a half notch above sleazy used car salesmen. The barrel full of bad apples makes it hard for the few good examples out there.
Old 21-02-2020, 11:22   #11

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes 56

I had a pink strut on a 30 year old boat. I had to track down the foundry that had the mold and they recast it for about $250. I was told that the pink appearance means it's getting brittle and could potentially snap so it is prudent to replace it. My strut was bedded with what appeared to be 4200 and 4 bolts. When replaced it was rebedded and the bolts were oddly small for what I thought proper. But the shipwright said we wanted the bolts to fail leaving small holes rather than having the hull rip out leaving a large catastrophic hole.

Every boat I've purchased has had hidden issues like this.
Mal Reynolds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 12:01   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

The first sign of dezincification of brass is a change in colour, from the yellow, typically found in brass, to the salmon pink of pure copper metal.
The pink colour may then turn reddish, and then brown if the surface copper corrodes to form cuprite.
More severe dezincification produces a porous, weak metal, which is mainly copper.
Your pictured strut appears to have severe dezincification, to me, and should be replaced.

I’d consider this a major job, expecting it to cost in the thousands of dollars.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 12:26   #13

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

From what you posted its a red flag imo, there are lots of used boats available that the owners were clever enough to install zincs, in such a case what else was neglected, and for how long? Good luck with your boat search.

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 13:57   #14

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I'm not really up on Jeanneaus, but if it is 10 yrs. old, it is likely a liner built boat. Perhaps you can get the manufacturer to inform you exactly what would be necessary to fix this, but it is not as simple a repair as you might want to think, with implications for interior as well as the expected exterior work. Ask how the repair can best be done, and record the conversation, I doubt you'll get something in writing.

Yes, prudence indicates its replacement, and with all that electrolysis going on, perhaps the shaft is damaged, and the cutless bearing, as well. You'll need the info to find out how to factor it into your offer if you really want the boat.

If you go forward with this boat, I feel certain, due to its general state of neglect, that there will be more -- possibly expensive -- issues with her. The only positive way I am aware of to determine the state of the strut, was mentioned above: grinding into it and trying to find good metal; and, it is in itself destructive . I suppose you could try hiring an x-ray to come to the boat to take pictures of the holes in the strut.

I think passing on the boat is probably best. Boatyard folks seem to do their best work when working alongside the owner. When the owner is absent, the completion process slows.

Ann
Old 21-02-2020, 14:09   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

When our prop was the same colour as that strut a blade fell off after a few weeks.
I would get a quote to replace & then see where you are at in terms of what you want to pay.
Don't know any test for embrittlement or the Jenneau construction but pretty sure it's not a cheap repair.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote