Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2023, 07:14   #1

Pearson 365 Cutlass Bearing

Good Morning!
I just replaced the cutlass bearing on my recently purchased Pearson 365 Ketch. Having replaced cutlass bearings on other boats before - I was concerned when I could push the bearing into the strut without using a press - or any lube. I have never encountered this before. Has anyone else? Any thoughts? Also - I have never had a boat with a strut before. There appears to be another cutlass bearing coming through the hull. Two cutlass bearings? Is that a thing? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks so much in advance.

- Mike
BlueWaterSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2023, 07:46   #2

Re: Pearson 365 Cutlass Bearing

I don't have much experience with this, having only replaced one cutlass bearing, but I do remember the fit of the shaft into the bearing being a little tighter once the bearing was pressed into the boat. Meaning, the inside diameter of the bearing became a little smaller due to the press fit. I doubt these small changes are that significant in the end, as there is little chance that all boats have the same diameter/stiffness of stern tube, that all the different manufacturers of replacement cutlass bearings have the same size ODs, and even the shaft sizes probably vary. If you used a good sealant/adhesive product and the shaft play within the bearing isn't excessive, I think you're good. Can't comment on the two cutlass bearings.

I used 4200 on the outside of the bearing, so it wasn't going anywhere even without the light press. I also used the 2 set screws, threaded into small "dimples" I drilled into the cutlass bearing, for good measure.
markxengineerin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pearson, pearson 365