Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2014, 12:39   #1

old marine transmissions

I have a Perkins 4-107, probably ancient, with a hydraulic gear attached to it(looks original),that at first I thought was a 200 series ZF Hirst, because it's a similar design, but it has a cooling circuit built right in to the gear. There are two 3/4" hose bibs sticking out of the back of the box, which I assume run engine coolant through a heat exchanger inside the gear oil sump. No information plate anywhere on it, but I have an engine manual for the small Perkins fours with some identifying pictures and on the back off these engines is a gear identical to the one I have. Did Perkins ever make their own gears or did they have an early favourite gear manufacturer, other than Paragon.(I have a whole pile of those!) Anyone out there hazard a gues as to what this is? Shipleft.
shipleft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 13:40   #2

Re: old marine transmissions

A picture speaks a thousand words.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 19:13   #3

Too complicated a process for me !
Old 06-07-2014, 19:44   #4

Boat: Cornado 25

If it looks similar to this....
Its a Borg-Warner Velvet Drive. Common gear on 4-107. Oil cooler is separate from engine sump. Gear is hydro, and uses std ATF. Good gear in my opinion, long as you keep water out of it. Rebuilds not cheap. Good core if planetary gears ok. Possible DIY
capt-couillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 14:50   #5

Thanks, i am familiar with the Borg as I have four or five boats here with them. This older gear is remarkably short, only about six inches in length, it is hydraulically operated and somehow has room in there for reduction gearing also. In overall shape and looks it looks like it could be an older style FZ Hurst but with two oddities: it has a "built-in" cooler circuit with 2, 3/4" IP to hose bibs on the back end, and the output shaft is not the usual round flange with four or six-bolt pattern, it is an oval piece with only a two-bolt connection, seems like an under-sized hookup for a 4-107, even in the de-rated 25shp Westerbeck naval version !
Old 08-07-2014, 15:00   #6

To post a picture :

Take the picture and upload to your computer.

Go to Tinypic.com. select "message board" as the image size, upload it, watch the annoying advert, and cut and paste the image code into your post.

Easy.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 15:18   #7

Perkins used Hurth gears. I have had two with them. Neither of mine had the cooling circuit, but I know the cooling option was available. As I remember it was just a heat exchanger tube that mounted thru a new transmission cover...? A pic would be great. I had zero problems with both Hurth gears, they would get so hot you could fry an egg on them but just kept going. Tiny too.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 15:21   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipleft View Post
Too complicated a process for me !
Just download to your computer. Go to "advanced" reply. Clik on "manage attachments", clik on Browse and find your pic. clik on Open the pic. It will download and be in your message.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 22:59   #9

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202
old marine transmissions

I believe they also used paragons
Attachment 95599

Sent from my iPad SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, transmission