Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2017, 04:43   #16
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Westsail 32 #676
Re: Need shaft coupler - any suppliers known?

Try General Propeller in Brandenton, FL. I got a new shaft and coupler from them last year. They were very helpful.
Old 07-03-2017, 06:37   #17

Boat: 1995 Privilege 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatbod View Post
A coupling should always have it's face turned and the bore mated to the shaft. How else can you be sure it is running true?
The face is connected to a Drive Saver, which by its nature is a bit flexible. It is also a split coupling, so when the shaft is mated to the coupling, they will have to dissassemble the mated pair to install, then get the tension on each side exactly the same as when mated in the shop. Just seems like alot of variability to me, and precision that takes place in a shop, but may not translate to the actual install.

I have people telling me 'this is the best way and we need to remove the shafts' and others telling me that 30 mm is 30 mm, it's a split coupling anyways, and connected to a Drive Saver, so don't worry about mating them up.

- Ray
FollowingCs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:07   #18

30mm is not an unusual shaft size in Europe (it's what I have! actually quite common) ... perhaps you should look to source from a EU supplier.
jannw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:27   #19

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Marine Engines : Drive System Alignment by David Pascoe, Marine Surveyor
Old 07-03-2017, 08:46   #20

I purchased a replacement shaft and coupler from Deep Blue Yacht Supply late last year. Give them a call and they may be able to help. I believe you can have up to 10 mils (0.010 inch) of difference in alignment when using a flexible coupling or drive saver. If the new coupling has been manufactured properly it should already be true to the shaft bore.

https://www.deepblueyachtsupply.com/
TRM-MYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:30   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by FollowingCs View Post
The face is connected to a Drive Saver, which by its nature is a bit flexible. It is also a split coupling, so when the shaft is mated to the coupling, they will have to dissassemble the mated pair to install, then get the tension on each side exactly the same as when mated in the shop. Just seems like alot of variability to me, and precision that takes place in a shop, but may not translate to the actual install.

I have people telling me 'this is the best way and we need to remove the shafts' and others telling me that 30 mm is 30 mm, it's a split coupling anyways, and connected to a Drive Saver, so don't worry about mating them up.

- Ray
Fine, do whatever you are comfortable doing. I wouldn't be comfortable selling your solution to one of my customers, but that's just me being cautious of creating possible callbacks.
boatbod is offline   Reply With Quote