Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2020, 19:04   #1

Boat: Shannon Pilothouse 38
MaxProp versus Variprop GP

I'm narrowing my search for the right feathering prop for my boat. It seems like either the MaxProp or the Variprop GP will be the best choice. My full keel and small aperture dictate a 4 blade prop to make up for a slightly smaller than desired diameter.

The Italian designed MaxProp seems to be the crowd favorite. Simple design, great reputation for performance and reliability with a lot of satisfied customers. It relies on grease pressure to stop the blades gently.

The German designed Variprop is similar, but the newest "GP" version claims 10% efficiency over the MaxProp because of improved curve shape on the blades. "Soft stop" technology means it's not just grease that prevents a clunk. They seem to have a reputation for being the more robust of the two, albeit not as simple.

Both companies (AB Marine and PYI) have been a pleasure to speak with so far. I'm still trying to get exact quotes for what I need but I think the Variprop will cost about 20% more.

Direct comparisons are hard to find. Does anyone have any insight on which prop might be the better choice?
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2022, 10:08   #2

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 49
Re: MaxProp versus Variprop GP

Bump. Same question. Any feedback on VP vs MP?
Student_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2022, 11:08   #3

I went with the Variprop and have been quite happy. Had some issues getting it on with my tight aperture but tech support (Geoff) at AB Marine was excellent. I had to cut the tip off my prop shaft but I think it would have been the same exact situation with Maxprop.

It was a about a 25% higher price tag than the Maxprop so take that into consideration, and they also obviously have good support and a loyal fan base too. I had to add pitch bc again I have a small aperture so the prop has to be small. I think my motoring speed was a bit slower than normal the first season but I added an inch of pitch and now it’s a bit faster than my old fixed prop now. I might add a little more pitch this year bc I’m still not limited by RPMs. I don’t think I could really adjust it when the boats in the water. I had to modify an Allen wrench as it is to access the pitch adjustment screw.

I’ve noticed a modest increase in speed sailing in light air, but my boat is heavy and slow in those conditions and the prop can’t work miracles. The biggest advantage to me, and the real reason I got it, is to avoid spinning the shaft in neutral. I had a shaft seal problem and then separately a vibration issue (which ended up being a bent shaft not the 3-blade fixed prop that I thought was causing the wobble).

So all told, I’m glad I got a feathering prop and I’m glad I went with the Variprop, but was it worth $4k when I could have spent that money on a new autopilot or new Espar heater? I guess my answer is yes, but not an overwhelming yes.

And back to the original question of VP vs MP, they’re basically German and Italian versions of the same product. If I were you I’d call Geoff at AB marine and whoever the main guy is at PYI and tell them you’re trying to decide between the two and ask why do they think their product is the best choice for your boat and needs. Go with whoever has a better answer.

Good luck and let us know!
Old 21-02-2022, 11:14   #4

Oh yeah one last thing… reversing is DRAMATICALLY improved. I can stop on a dime now.
Old 22-02-2022, 13:52   #5

I ordered the vari-prop today. Will revert in a few months.
Old 09-05-2022, 14:44   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Student_Driver View Post
I ordered the vari-prop today. Will revert in a few months.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1032.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	257483

Can’t wait to test it.
Old 09-05-2022, 15:09   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Student_Driver View Post
Attachment 257483

Can’t wait to test it.

Here’s mine… I paint it with PropSpeed which is exorbitantly expensive but I think worth it, considering it comes out clean at the end of the season.

I’ve also added an inch of pitch twice now, since my engine is still able to rev up higher than its prescribed max RPM. I noticed a big boost in speed after the first increase. I just added another inch, hopefully it wasn’t too much (going in this weekend). Despite what they say I don’t think it would be possible to adjust it underwater without scuba gear. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7154.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	257486
Old 23-08-2023, 11:55   #8

Boat: 1970 Ericson 35 MKII

What were the results?

I have a Morgan 41 OI with an 8' shaft that also freewheels while sailing.

I'm stuck between the variprop and the maxprop, as well.
Farlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2023, 12:17   #9

I’ve been very happy with the Variprop. I had to add more pitch twice to get it perfect but overall it’s great. Most notable difference is in reverse, but the speed boost in light air and overall quiet of a motionless shaft is great.

According to Geoff at AB marine, the variprop has a more efficient blade design, more robust construction, “soft stops” that reduce wear and tear inside the prop, and a shorter hub length. I had some issues getting mine installed (not their fault) and he was super helpful.

Then again the MaxProp is much more common and has a good reputation for quality and service as well. And it’s less expensive.

Honestly I think they’re really just Italian and German versions of the same thing, and you’ll be happy with either one.
Old 23-08-2023, 18:48   #10

If you are a SAILboat, do you really care about a 10% improvement in efficiency when motoring? I mean, Really? Assuming it is 100% true, how much would you PAY for that? And what exactly is the numerator and denominator for that "10%" increase?

I have been running MaxProps on sailboats for 20 years. They work. I am 100% sure Variprops work too. But why fore the extra cost? If you think it is worth it, then go for it. Color me skeptical.

We cruise full time, and put about 400 hours a year on our engine, and burn 1 gallon an hour when motoring. So a "10% improvement" in efficiency would, if I believe the advertising puffery, save us about 40 gallons a year, or about $160. You tell me... the payback time on the extra cost of a Variprop?
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2023, 00:18   #11

Boat: 1970 Ericson 35 MKII

I only have 10" from the cutlass to the rudder. The variprop hub is an inch shorter than the maxprop. Im told by a pro the variprop is better design and more robust. My current prop is an 18" 3 blade but I would likely need to go 17 or 16 for clearance so I am considering a 4 blade. Has anyone done this? My boat is 1974 Morgan 41 Out Island, 14' beam and 26,000 lbs. with a Perkins 40hp and a 2.5:1 reduction.
Farlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2023, 01:20   #12

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48

The Australian Hydralyn feathering props are made for small apature on full keel yachts ,a verry good product ,have fitted a number of them ,I would say it’s worth a look ,with the low A$ maybe viable .⚓️⛵️
Searles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2023, 03:58   #13

I also went from 3 blade fixed to 4 blade variprop. He said I could do either 3 or 4 blade but the 4 would be smoother and I was trying to reduce vibration (that actually turned out to be bent shaft). I also had very little room to work w in aperture so those were also factors in my decision. They actually sold me a 17” prop cut down to 16-1/2” so I could get the “max”variprop possible