Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2015, 19:07   #1

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Max Prop

I have decided to replace Idora's prop. Max prop seems accessible and well represented in the PNW. Looking for less drag under sail and an improvement in reverse thrust to prop walk ratio. It should make Idora a little easier to handle when docking. Being an Ingrid the prop is close to the surface and can cavitate and even breach the surface the surface in steep shirt pitch waves.

This configuration means that engine rpm is effectively limited to around 2000 rpm to avoid excessive vibration and cavitation. Curious if a 3 blade prop is best or a 4 blade might provide the best thrust at these modest rpms. Ideas anyone?
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 19:15   #2
Marine Service Provider

Location: floating around ... hopefully in aqua clear swimming pool water!
Boat: 1985 Passport 37
Re: Max Prop

We have a MaxProp and had considerable difficulty when we first put it on (back in 2001) because our transmission had different ratios in forward and reverse (don't ask me, I haven't a clue). The boatyard worked directly with Fred Hutchinson at PYI and he finally worked it all out for us.

I have no clue what your answer might be, but the first thing I'd do would be calling Fred Hutchinson at PYI and asking. He'll know the answer, or he'll find it out.

He's one of the most approachable, knowledgeable and helpful vendors we've worked with in over 15 years with our now 30 year old boat!

PYI's telephone number is 425-355-3669, just ask for Fred.

Good Luck!

https://commutercruiser.com
sv Winterlude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 19:28   #3

Thanks, I need to look up my shaft diameter and prop diameter/pitch. I sent them an email to start the ball rolling. I probably have a month before we go in the yard. (waiting for room) Certainly need to have the prop and new dripless SB in hand to avoid the dreaded delays out of the water. Hopefully they can make an effective recommendation.
Old 27-10-2015, 19:36   #4
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
Certainly need to have the prop and new dripless SB in hand to avoid the dreaded delays out of the water. Hopefully they can make an effective recommendation.
FYI- No need it install a Max Prop on the hard. Hutch will happily refer you to a qualified local diver who can do it in the water.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 19:49   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
FYI- No need it install a Max Prop on the hard. Hutch will happily refer you to a qualified local diver who can do it in the water.
Thanks, if there is a delay getting the prop that can be an option. will need the dripless, or parts (don't know yet)...guess I better look up my gear box specs too. Luckily I have excellent documents.

Old 06-11-2015, 17:06   #6

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49

Emerald City Diving can do it in the water. I used them as per PYI's recommendation.
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 17:22   #7

Boat: Beneteau First 375

Having repacked our Maxprop while on the hard, I am absolutely in awe of anyone who could do that job underwater. Love the prop.
sandy stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 17:29   #8
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy stone View Post
Having repacked our Maxprop while on the hard, I am absolutely in awe of anyone who could do that job underwater. Love the prop.
Within the last six days I have installed one, repitched another and removed a third.
Old 06-11-2015, 18:59   #9

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

Quote:
I have decided to replace Idora's prop. Max prop seems accessible and well represented in the PNW. Looking for less drag under sail and an improvement in reverse thrust to prop walk ratio. It should make Idora a little easier to handle when docking. Being an Ingrid the prop is close to the surface and can cavitate and even breach the surface the surface in steep shirt pitch waves.

This configuration means that engine rpm is effectively limited to around 2000 rpm to avoid excessive vibration and cavitation. Curious if a 3 blade prop is best or a 4 blade might provide the best thrust at these modest rpms. Ideas anyone?
I had a 4 blade on a bass boat years back. I could run the jackplate much higher with the four blade. I had a three blade smaller pitch for pulling skiers. The three would cavitate at 3/4 throttle or more. With the plate up the tip of the blades would come out of the water at speed. The forth blade kept enough area in the water to take the horsepower.

So in a pitching sea a four blade may help.
ctl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 20:07   #10

fstbttms,

Can you provide me with the technique that you use to get the 3 bladed prop lined up and installed? In the 30 years that I've had that prop, I've hauled the boat out every 2 or 3 years to disassemble and added the grease. It was always difficult getting it back together without help from a third hand. Any hint on an easy way to reassemble with 2 hands on a 3 bladed prop? I'm finally putting in zirc fittings, but still need to disassembly one last time and not sure if there will be anyone in the yard that can lend a hand.
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 05:38   #11
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot9898 View Post
fstbttms,

Can you provide me with the technique that you use to get the 3 bladed prop lined up and installed? In the 30 years that I've had that prop, I've hauled the boat out every 2 or 3 years to disassemble and added the grease. It was always difficult getting it back together without help from a third hand. Any hint on an easy way to reassemble with 2 hands on a 3 bladed prop? I'm finally putting in zirc fittings, but still need to disassembly one last time and not sure if there will be anyone in the yard that can lend a hand.
Have you watched the PYI installation videos?

-- PYI Inc. Max-Prop PSS Shaft Seal Seaview Radar Mounts R&D --
Old 07-11-2015, 06:09   #12

Thanks.....After all these years, I've always assembled with the blades not assembled onto that end cap. It sure looks easier with that end cap attached! I'll give it a try.
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 06:30   #13

Have definitely decided to get the newer EZ model. Should be easier to re pitch. Expecting some trial and error. Right now waiting for an assessment/ identification on the dripless SB. Hope to be in the yard in the next couple weeks when there's room and free hands for the rest of the project.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:33   #14

Quote:

Hi Idora, we are new vendors on CF. We are quite known in Europe and you'll be seeing our products much more in the US in the future.
Our stainles steel feathering props EWOL have higher DAR (surface ratio) than standard props on the market and a more clever blade shape, this assures stronger thrust, speed and avoids the need for 4 blades version which would be more expensive and heavy. Fine pitch setting (precision of 0.25° each step in a range from 14° to 26°) assures best matching of prop to the specific boat.
We do have already a couple of resellers in the US (FL and SC) and for free areas we are selecting resellers and for now shipping direct from Europe. On our website Ewol S.r.l. - Propeller Evolution you'll have the chance to see videos, pictures, read testimonials, calculate your prop, request quotation, purchase prop and anodes, etc.
https://youtu.be/f4wbvs9a-6w
EWOL Props is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 08:12   #15

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Get the Max Prop. But install it while hauled out.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote