Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2012, 13:57   #1

Martec vs Max Props

I have a max prop 3 blade (VP). In rough water had hard time getting it to feather in 8-12ft seas. In SF Bay it seems to feather just fine. I greased it when I got to the bay, and not sure when it had last been previously greased. But has anyone else experienced similar issues? Does anyone have other self feathering types of props that they like or don't like and should stay clear of? A friend suggested talking with the Martec guys, anyone used one of their props? Cheers-
07Marjorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 14:23   #2

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
Re: Martec vs Max Props

I have a 3 blade VP as well. Out of interest, did you have a shaft brake in place or the transmission locked? If not, the changes in hydrostatic pressure on the blades in 8-12foot seas might have led to feathering problems.
Old 22-03-2012, 08:55   #3

Re: Martec vs Max Props

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
I have a 3 blade VP as well. Out of interest, did you have a shaft brake in place or the transmission locked? If not, the changes in hydrostatic pressure on the blades in 8-12foot seas might have led to feathering problems.
For what it's worth, in prepping a 40 foot Ketch for an Atlantic crossing and analyzing fuel capacity, motoring versus sailing mileage, I replaced a three blade fixed prop with Martec. (I'd used Gory and Martec props and experienced none of the problems appearing in yacht club scuttlebutt.) In the Med I changed back to the three blade fixed prop to "punch through choppy seas". After several years changing back and forth, looking for an advantage, I settled on the Martec. More recently I bought a smaller vessel in Florida equipped with a Maxprop. To me, Maxprop is a needlessly complicated piece of equipment. When the first adjustment was needed, I replaced it with a Martec. It's simple, it works and if there is a thrust trade-off under power, it's not significant enough to bother me.
Hope this helps-Good sailing
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote