Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2011, 05:02   #1

Boat: 38 roberts ketch
Loose Nuts on Front of Stern Gland

the stern gland has a front section about 5-6in long, at front a bolt on seal, 4in down to the grease feed attachment, then a 2 bolt flange, the bolts pass through a 3/4 in bulkhead and the shaft continues 3ish feet to the exit - i discover both the bolts on the flange are really loose but have probably been so for years - they are very, VERY difficult to get at and although my instinct is of course they should be tightened, the fact that they may never have been tightened even when originally installed - how seriously should i take it? The engine is solid mounted steel on steel so it doesnt move, there are no thrust issues.
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 05:34   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: loose nuts on front of stern gland

How long have you known for sure that they are loose (how many hours on motoring)? This will give an idea if it is a problem or not.

Can you make (or at least cobble up) a suitable tool to tighten them, if only a little?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:20   #3

Re: Loose Nuts on Front of Stern Gland

i only discovered they existed a couple of weeks ago but i'm pretty sure they've been loose for some considerable time because of the discoloration on the threads. I've probably run about 15 hrs on the engine since then, feels ok but i've been taking it easy. I just bought some replacement nuts(nylock)/bolt/washers and im going to have to cut and weld a spanner to bend in around the prop shaft to do up the lower one. the upper i can get at ok.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:00   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

I have the same problem. Mine are easy to get to, but despite having changed the packing recently, there's apparently enough vibration to backoff double nuts and or locknuts (I've tried both). This occurs after a relatively short amount of motoring. Nothing serious, just a more frequent drip than I would want. Still searching for a solution.

Maybe Locktite?
Old 08-11-2011, 10:40   #5

Boat: Sceptre 41

Have you tried pinging the threads. Take a punch and a hammer and after the nuts are tightened put a dimple in the threads so that it is difficult for the nuts to back off. I have done this and it works well sometimes I need to use a file to help the nuts off.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:59   #6

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

There is a tool plumbers use to reach up behind the sink to tighten water lines. It has a sickle shaped, spring loaded jaw that will wrap around the nuts, and allow a "ratchet" type of action.
May work for you.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:15   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
I have the same problem. Mine are easy to get to, but despite having changed the packing recently, there's apparently enough vibration to backoff double nuts and or locknuts (I've tried both). This occurs after a relatively short amount of motoring. Nothing serious, just a more frequent drip than I would want. Still searching for a solution.

Maybe Locktite?
i'd try loctite - there are a number of different strengths for different applications, sounds like you need a strong one. Otherwise you could try drill and splitpin - bit tiresome to fit but if you have reasonable access...I think the nylocks will work on mine because the vibrations arent significant, they'll just be a bastard to do up.