Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2021, 10:10   #1

Leaking from recently installed PYI PSS shaft seal

Several days ago, we had a PYI - PSS shaft seal installed on our 2006 H33. 24 hours after cleaning/drying the bilge once the boat was back in the water, I noticed a accumulation of sea water just below the PSS.

Is it normal that, while the carbon and steel rotors are seating, there will be some dripping? I only ran the engine for approximately 15 min from the boat yard to our marina and therefore, have not completed the 1 hr break-in period specified by PYI.

Could there be any other reasons for the dripping other than the need for break-in.

Please note, the picture below was taken shortly after system was ‘burped’.

Thanks as always for any thoughts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6B140C81-85FC-47B0-96D6-0BA2FFE1A7D8.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	422.9 KB
ID:	236697  
lvgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2021, 03:15   #2

Re: Leaking from recently installed PYI PSS shaft seal

Hi
Firstly just checking that the hose clamps are tight?
It could be that there is some irregularity with the outside of the stern tube that has not allowed the boot to seal, or preventing the boot from being centered properly on the shaft?
The main reason that they may leak is insufficient preload, or the orings in the collar were nicked by a blemish on the shaft when it was assembled.
You really need to dry it out and give it a run whilst you watch closely to narrow it down.
I did run mine in, tied up to the marina and it has been great except I originally failed to put enough preload and it would squirt on gear selection or in really rough water.
Resetting the preload sorted this and it has been really good ever since.
Cheers
Tom
Nineteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2021, 04:55   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Not in any way questioning nineteen's thoughtful response, but in addition I do hope that there is not scoring of the drive shaft. That's basically a very large oil seal, and will leak if the shaft is not smooth and round.

I'm glad to see that you've used a reinforced hose for the raw water feed. My seal came with a very thin vinyl hose, and I had a "wait a minute!" moment realizing that its failure could sink the boat.
Old 02-05-2021, 04:47   #4

Boat: Current yacht:Alden 46, previous yachts:Cavalier 32, Joshua steel ketch -12m, Traveller 32,Rawson 30

PSS shaft seals are NOT “very large oil seals”. They don’t seal by running on the propshaft. They are a 2 part unit and the “seal” is created by the 2 parts pressing against each other. One is a stainless rotor which is clamped on the propshaft by set screws, and the other is a carbon ring on the end of the rubber bellows.
nuku34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 12:00   #5

Boat: Coast 34 Sail

There is a set distance for compression to seal. The way I measured mine is putting stainless collar against carbon surface at rest then installing shaft zinc on other side of collar for reference. Mine called for 3/4" compression so I cut a slot for the shaft and put wood between zinc and seal. Remember that double Allen screws are used. You may not be compressed enough
Tomodore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shaft seal