Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2008, 12:48   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 40DS
Send a message via AIM to Iolite
Jeanneau Prop removal

I have been trying to remove the prop from my Jeanneau 40DS. I can get the anode and nut off. But using a puller and the prop won't budge. Is there something I'm missing cotter pin or snap ring that I can't see ?????? I don't want to damage the shaft.
Thanks Peter

Iolite Jeanneau 40 DS
Iolite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2008, 22:25   #2
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iolite View Post
I have been trying to remove the prop from my Jeanneau 40DS. I can get the anode and nut off. But using a puller and the prop won't budge. Is there something I'm missing cotter pin or snap ring that I can't see ??????
If you got the nut off that means you got the washer off as well, yes? Then there is nothing left siezing the prop to the shaft. Are you using a prop puller? If so, keep at it. Pressure, Patience & Persistance are what will get the prop off. Switch puller positions relative to the prop often and beat the living hell out of the puller with a hammer. Tension and vibration are key. The prop will come off and don't worry about damaging the shaft. You won't.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2008, 04:20   #3

Boat: Liberty 28 Custom Cutter - "Native Dancer" For Sale
Just keep cranking on the prop puller and mind not damaging the threads on the shaft. When it does come loose it's going to "pop" off the shaft and the puller going to crash about your feet so be prepared. The only thing holding the prop on is the prop shaft nut/nuts. After that it's just corrosion. Smear Lanocote or the like all over the shaft when you put the prop back on.

Good luck!
Liberty28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2008, 06:09   #4

Boat: privilege 37
i work for the local jenneau agent in the south uk and remove plenty of stuck props
we dont use pullers we use a blowtorch heat is what you need dont heat the shaft only the hub of the prop and use a soft hammer to nock it off
do not put lock tight on the shaft or prop when reasembling the lock nut washer with tabs bent up and the split pin are all you need to keep the prop on in fact use a good waterproof grease on the shaft and keyway then you wont need to strugle next year
you may be having this problem because some one has used a glue (locktight) to put it on last time.
philip van praag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2008, 09:47   #5
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Do not put anything on the shaft to lubricate it when reinstalling the prop. It was not designed to need it and the tolerances are such that you may fail to seat the prop correctly if there is a layer of grease on the shaft. This could eventually lead to the loss of the prop.

The idea of heating the prop is a good one but I do not recommend using anything but a prop puller to get the prop off. "Proper tool for the job" and all. Using anything else increases the liklihood of damaging the prop.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2008, 10:15   #6

Boat: Jeanneau 40DS
Send a message via AIM to Iolite
Thumbs up

Thanks to everyone the prop is off
Peter
Iolite is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jeanneau, removal