Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2010, 06:33   #1

Hurth HBW 150 Problem

I have a Hurth hbw 150 that is having shifting problems in forward. When I shift it into forward for the first time it does not engage. I have to throw it in reverse then forward for it to engage and then only after a 4 second delay. After this process it will engage only after 3-4 seconds in between the 3-4 seconds the shaft is turning but i can stop it by hand. I have changed the fluid and also disconnected the linkage to see if it was a linkage adjustment. Engaging it by hand looks the same.

Any suggestions?
brakauskas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 19:05   #2

Boat: Trawler, Aquila 35, 40 ft
Send a message via Skype™ to mofsubic
This transmission is easy to disassemble. Based on your stated problem and that you have changed the oil. The only thing it can be is your clutches. These are easy to replace. I have attached a Page from the Manual. My only advice is being careful when buying new bearings. Some of the companies sell them for $250 a Pair for the big bearings on the input and output shaft. These bearing should only cost about $10.00 each. Also when you install the big bearings be sure to heat them to 100C. If not the amount of force to hammer them on with an aluminum pipe will dislodge the roller bearings.
Regards
Mofsubic
mofsubic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2010, 06:39   #3

Boat: beneteau 423
Hi I also have a Hurth problem, but it's noise at low revs. The 'gox has done a lot of hours, I'd appreciate if you could send me a copy of the manual so i can replace bearings, cones etc
thanks
bryan and wendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:07   #4

Boat: Steel Trireme 38
Worn Hurth 150 bearings

My Hurth 150 rattles at low revs and in neutral. I got it off the engine recently and found the foremost bearing on the input shaft was pretty much gone (lots of play). I assume the rear bearing needs replacing as well. I'm having a lot of trouble finding these bearings, at least for a reasonable price. Most sites selling rebuild kits don't actually sell the tapered roller bearings. Does anyone know their dimensions, or an SKF#, for example?
lponcet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:43   #5

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500
for those in the uk contact lancing marine in hove i got all my bearings/clutch plates and a complete set of spares for my hurth 360a g/box last yr for around £550 and he can help with manuals as well
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 16:40   #6

Boat: '88 Passport 41' Magic Moments
I had the same issue and found my Max Prop was not engaging. After a shift to reverse and back to fwd, it worked fine. A good cleaning and lube corrected the issue.
A
Dynamo1181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:52   #7

Hurth 150

You can take the shift lever off the side. on the ene of the shaft there is a spring loaded shave which engages the clutch when going into forward and reverse. If this spring gets week it will skipout of the grove in the center clutch position. the shaft has a cam on it which will always bring you back to nutral. but if the pin is getting week you will need to replace the shaft.
regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakauskas View Post
I have a Hurth hbw 150 that is having shifting problems in forward. When I shift it into forward for the first time it does not engage. I have to throw it in reverse then forward for it to engage and then only after a 4 second delay. After this process it will engage only after 3-4 seconds in between the 3-4 seconds the shaft is turning but i can stop it by hand. I have changed the fluid and also disconnected the linkage to see if it was a linkage adjustment. Engaging it by hand looks the same.

Any suggestions?
Old 10-10-2010, 10:54   #8

bearings are easy to find, get the part number and search. no need to replace the gears, and the transmission is easy to take apart. but follow the instructions on reinstall bearings with heat.
Old 25-10-2010, 09:54   #9

I replaced my HBW150V with a brand new one a little over 2000 engine hours ago, and then had the same issue I had then: forward starts slipping and slips more and more until I accept the inevitable expense. This time I had it rebuilt: $750. I've only got 20 engine hours on it, although I'm well past the 90 day warranty, and forward just disappeard altogether. I'm now wondering about taking the thing apart myself.

So, mofsubic, if I get as bold as you, what will I need in the way of special tools? I don't have a mechanics shop, but I do have a garage and most standard tools.
svbodhisattva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 17:10   #10

1st I would get the manua. Wioth that it would be eas. I have in data format but dont know how tosend via. this media.
for tools they are basic. You will need a basic calaper in MM. Not an expensive one.
this is to check the clutch height the rest is basic tool. Your will need a good heavyu duty vice to assist in removing the bearings. Also I would have a good aluminum pipe to help in disassembly the Pipe ID should be a little bigger than the input an output shaft. also some wood to soften the blows of a Ball peen hammer.
Important. Prior to disassembly, take off the shift plate on the side of the transmission. When you look at the centering cam which brings the trans back to nutral on the end of the shift lever there is a small pin. This is the nutral pin which goes into the V on the clutch shift plate. If this pin spring is week it will allow the transmission to shift without engaging the clutch. the clutch snaps to forward and reverse. the little pin does this. the cam, which required more force brinigs the clutch back to center. Hoping you understand, good luck it is really quiet easy.
otto at mof-subic dot com
Old 25-10-2010, 17:11   #11

sorry about spelling, was in a hurry
Old 26-10-2010, 07:58   #12

Thanks for the info, Otto.
Called the guy who rebuilt it and he sounds like he's going to back up his work even though I'm past warranty. All the same, I'm going to buy the service manual. I don't trust this thing. It slowly died coming back from our cruise to Mexico and we just barely got home. Next time I'm sure it'll die somewhere totally inconvenient.
svbodhisattva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 08:31   #13

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
I have a stainless steel adj. outboard bracket on board to install on my transom just for that reason.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2010, 10:55   #14

Well ,
I'm in the same situation.
Ducatti diesel is running, it is a 1970 and Hurth gearbox , the gearboxes running but the flange connection between on the gearbox is broken ( 3 fange fingers of 4 ).
I made the decision to get everything out and put a 28hp outboard at the end of the 33ft sailboat.
The reparation would not give any sense to the value of the boat
pcloot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 20:00   #15

Boat: Tartan S&S 48
Hi mofsubic, I am in Thailand with a Hurth 150 that by the sounds of it needs rebuilding. Any chance of emailing a copy of the manual. No one here to fix it except me. If possible, thanks.
roberttohagan@yahoo.co.uk
tartanss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hbw 150, hurth