Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2010, 11:00   #1

Boat: yorktown 33
HBW10-2r Gearbox Needs Replacement: Anyone Have Any Advice ?

I'm researching a replacement for a hbw10-2r made by Hurth. i bought a zf10m but i believe it will take a different damper plate and has a little bit different gear ratio. the old hbw10-2r has a 2.14/1 ratio (I believe) and the zf10m has a 2.04/1 ratio. the shaft to the engine is much smaller on the zf10m. the old transmission was working fine except the engine and trany could not be alligned due to slop in the trany. the engine is a universal diesel model 5424. any suggestions? thanks, mike
starwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 11:09   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Welcome to the forum Mike.
I don't know what that tranny is but I wish I had gone with a Twin Disk instead of the Velvet Drive...its damper plate is plastic with just over 2 cm of transmission spline entering it....yeh...I've already trashed the FM splines once.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2010, 15:41   #3

Boat: Schucker 436 motorsailor
I replaced my hbw10 with a zf12 at the recommendation of TMI in Ft. Lauderdale FL. I think it is the same as the hurth 2.14/1. (also have the 5424 engine). So far so good after 1300 hours.
sailalibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2010, 16:02   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwatch View Post
the old transmission was working fine except the engine and trany could not be alligned due to slop in the trany. the engine is a universal diesel model 5424. any suggestions? thanks, mike
Could you give us a little more detail? I'm not sure I understand. Why not just fix it?
Old 30-01-2011, 05:53   #5

Boat: Tartan S&S 48
HURTH HBW150

I am currently in Phuket Thailand. Can anyone help with info to get my gearbox rebuilt locally. Or the best and easiest way to get the parts required for total rebuild. thanks (desperate at anchor)
tartanss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2011, 08:21   #6

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
tranny woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwatch View Post
I'm researching a replacement for a hbw10-2r made by Hurth. i bought a zf10m but i believe it will take a different damper plate and has a little bit different gear ratio. the old hbw10-2r has a 2.14/1 ratio (I believe) and the zf10m has a 2.04/1 ratio. the shaft to the engine is much smaller on the zf10m. the old transmission was working fine except the engine and trany could not be alligned due to slop in the trany. the engine is a universal diesel model 5424. any suggestions? thanks, mike
Mike, The alignment? Sounds very unusual unless the output flange on the trans was wobbly which is very unlikely. Did you see this or are you taking someons word?

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2011, 10:15   #7

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by tartanss View Post
I am currently in Phuket Thailand. Can anyone help with info to get my gearbox rebuilt locally. Or the best and easiest way to get the parts required for total rebuild. thanks (desperate at anchor)
I have a whole rebuilt trany sitting out here in my garage. Too bad you're so far away.

Tags
gearbox