Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2010, 11:00   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: central coast, california
Boat: yorktown 33
Posts: 1
HBW10-2r Gearbox Needs Replacement: Anyone Have Any Advice ?

I'm researching a replacement for a hbw10-2r made by Hurth. i bought a zf10m but i believe it will take a different damper plate and has a little bit different gear ratio. the old hbw10-2r has a 2.14/1 ratio (I believe) and the zf10m has a 2.04/1 ratio. the shaft to the engine is much smaller on the zf10m. the old transmission was working fine except the engine and trany could not be alligned due to slop in the trany. the engine is a universal diesel model 5424. any suggestions? thanks, mike
__________________

starwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 11:09   #2
Registered User
 
James S's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Posts: 5,950
Images: 139
Welcome to the forum Mike.
I don't know what that tranny is but I wish I had gone with a Twin Disk instead of the Velvet Drive...its damper plate is plastic with just over 2 cm of transmission spline entering it....yeh...I've already trashed the FM splines once.
__________________

__________________
James
S/V Arctic Lady
I love my boat, I can't afford not to!
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2010, 16:41   #3
Registered User
 
sailalibi's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Beaufort SC./Bahamas
Boat: Allied Seawind II 32ft ketch, Schucker 436 motorsailor
Posts: 79
I replaced my hbw10 with a zf12 at the recommendation of TMI in Ft. Lauderdale FL. I think it is the same as the hurth 2.14/1. (also have the 5424 engine). So far so good after 1300 hours.
sailalibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2010, 17:02   #4
Senior Cruiser
 
delmarrey's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Philippines
Boat: Itís in French Polynesia now
Posts: 11,206
Images: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwatch View Post
the old transmission was working fine except the engine and trany could not be alligned due to slop in the trany. the engine is a universal diesel model 5424. any suggestions? thanks, mike
Could you give us a little more detail? I'm not sure I understand. Why not just fix it?
__________________
Faithful are the Wounds of a Friend, but the Kisses of the Enemy are Deceitful! ........
The measure of a man is how he navigates to a proper shore in the mist of a storm!
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2011, 06:53   #5
Registered User
 
tartanss's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Thailand
Boat: Tartan S&S 48
Posts: 32
HURTH HBW150

I am currently in Phuket Thailand. Can anyone help with info to get my gearbox rebuilt locally. Or the best and easiest way to get the parts required for total rebuild. thanks (desperate at anchor)
tartanss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2011, 09:21   #6
Registered User
 
S/V Antares's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Annapolis, Bahamas
Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
Posts: 1,253
Images: 1
tranny woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwatch View Post
I'm researching a replacement for a hbw10-2r made by Hurth. i bought a zf10m but i believe it will take a different damper plate and has a little bit different gear ratio. the old hbw10-2r has a 2.14/1 ratio (I believe) and the zf10m has a 2.04/1 ratio. the shaft to the engine is much smaller on the zf10m. the old transmission was working fine except the engine and trany could not be alligned due to slop in the trany. the engine is a universal diesel model 5424. any suggestions? thanks, mike
Mike, The alignment? Sounds very unusual unless the output flange on the trans was wobbly which is very unlikely. Did you see this or are you taking someons word?
__________________
Will & Muffin
Lucy the dog

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2011, 11:15   #7
Senior Cruiser
 
delmarrey's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Philippines
Boat: Itís in French Polynesia now
Posts: 11,206
Images: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by tartanss View Post
I am currently in Phuket Thailand. Can anyone help with info to get my gearbox rebuilt locally. Or the best and easiest way to get the parts required for total rebuild. thanks (desperate at anchor)
I have a whole rebuilt trany sitting out here in my garage. Too bad you're so far away.
__________________

__________________
Faithful are the Wounds of a Friend, but the Kisses of the Enemy are Deceitful! ........
The measure of a man is how he navigates to a proper shore in the mist of a storm!
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
gearbox

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
C&C 35 Engine Placement / Replacement Advice ? Miximan Monohull Sailboats 4 07-08-2010 08:50
Drawings for HBW10 and ZF12M ciclon1942 Engines and Propulsion Systems 2 16-04-2009 07:29
Engine Replacement Advice Firehoser75 Engines and Propulsion Systems 11 05-10-2008 16:24
New Gearbox problems Shaunh Propellers & Drive Systems 16 01-02-2008 22:40

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:03.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.