Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2019, 13:26   #1

Boat: Boreal 47
Getting a new ZF transmission in the US?

I need a new ZF 25 MA transmission for our boat since the one we have is not working well. I might get the old one rebuilt to have a spare. We are currently in Mexico (Yucatan), but given the trouble involved with getting parts here, I figured that we would fly to Florida and have the transmission sent to a friend there.

The trouble is that no companies seem to want to sell us such a transmission. I e-mail five different companies that have the ZF transmissions on their websites, but none of them even answered my emails (and I was polite). Do any of you have a suggestion for a company that might want to sell me a transmission? It could be anywhere in the US as long as they will ship to Florida. I prefer e-mail communication since we pay about 3 USD per minute on the phone to the US.
BjarneK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 13:42   #2

Boat: 1936, 40' Double ended Pilot Cutter
Re: Getting a new ZF transmission in the US?

Hi!

Give asap supplies a try. (Asap-supplies.com)
They’re based in the UK but ship worldwide.

I’ve had good luck with them in the past.
Gaffpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 13:49   #3

Have you tried these?

http://www.transmission-sanantonio.c...ntonio-TX.html

https://precisiontrans.com/contact
jmorrison146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 13:52   #4

Boat: Kaufman 47

Commercial Marine in Chalmette, LA a call. I got our ZF 68IV from there just last year.
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 06:07   #5

Thank you very much for your replies so far. I will be trying to get in touch with these companies after the weekend. Given my success rate, more suggestions are welcome.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:02   #6

Boat: Columbia 36

Right on ASAP Supplies. I just replaced my old Hurth HBW 5 with a PRM 60D. Was only about $450 where the ZF (new name for Hurth) would be about $1500 if you could even find one. Beta uses PRM on some of their engines so they must be good. ASAP also had the drive damper for a lot cheaper than anyone else. Be aware when you shop their site the prices include VAT but if you ship to the US they deduct the VAT which was around $150 for what I ordered. Shipping was reasonable too.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 10:16   #7

Boat: Catalina 470

ZF Marine Propulsion are in Fort Lauderdale, have you tried reaching out to them directly. Worst case they’ll refer you to a dealer who can help you.

https://www.zfmarinepropulsion.com/parts-service/

I live in Fort Lauderdale, let me know if I can help you.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 10:22   #8

I bought one from Elias at Pacwest Marine and Industrial, in San Diego, CA. Shipped to me in Hawaii
briblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 11:18   #9

I don't know where to buy a new one, but this is the link for the rebuild kit. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hurth-HBW-2...-/232700602861
I just rebuilt my ZF 25 (Hurth 250) last week. I disassembled the transmission myself, but did have to go to an automotive transmission shop to use their gear press to get the bearing sleeves on - I paid the guy $80 to press everything onto the output shaft. The YouTube link below will walk you through it...
JDanielBryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 12:34   #10

Boat: Cape Dory 31

For what its worth, here is the email for Richard Bowles at ZF in Florida

Richard.Bowles@zf.com

We had a ZF-10, only a few years old, in our boat (Universal M-25 engine) when we purchased it in 2013. Even though we changed the fluid religiously and used the trans carefully, the trans failed (slippage, then no forward gear, black fluid).

We bought a new ZF-10 and had our mechanic install it in 2016. After less than 90 hours, the fluid was dark and smelled burnt. We made a warranty claim and Richard Bowles was very helpful. ZF had a local certified mechanic at our home port in Maine install a new trans at company expense.

So, Richard may be able to help you or, at least, direct you to someone who can.

Also, the old MaineSail how-to site used to have a good discussion of ZF trannys, why they fail and how to care for them. I believe that site is now:

https://marinehowto.com/

You may wish to contact them for advice. I do recall that he recommended frequent fluid checks/replacements, but I can't recall the service interval he recommended.

Good Luck!
jen1722terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 15:43   #11

Boat: O'Day 34

Call Jim at Federal Transmission in Chicago at tel:708-352-2200.
Or because of your high per minute charges federalmarine@att.net
I recently had to replace a torque plate and a flex coupling and he was very helpful and knowledgeable.
Quadrille in JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 16:03   #12

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jgw View Post
Right on ASAP Supplies. I just replaced my old Hurth HBW 5 with a PRM 60D. Was only about $450 where the ZF (new name for Hurth) would be about $1500 if you could even find one. Beta uses PRM on some of their engines so they must be good. ASAP also had the drive damper for a lot cheaper than anyone else. Be aware when you shop their site the prices include VAT but if you ship to the US they deduct the VAT which was around $150 for what I ordered. Shipping was reasonable too.
Ditto with the hurth on my boat. Out with the hurth and in with the PRM, best decision ever.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 07:08   #13

Boat: Columbia 36

And the PRM has cone clutches like the Kanzaki's that Yanmar uses. Very positive engagement with no slipping. Hurth/ZF use disc clutches which are very prone to slipping and failure. That's the main reason I went with the PRM instead of rebuilding the Hurth. A rebuild (or replacement with a like unit) would be a temporary repair. It would just go bad again later.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 07:35   #14

Thanks for the suggestion to go with PRM. I also have a feeling that getting a new ZF would be a temporary fix. It seems that the biggest mechanical PRM is the 125 which has a maximum rating of 1.39 hp per 100 rpm, so 39 hp at 2,800 rpm. My engine is a 60 hp Nanni, so the PRM 125 would be too small for that.

The alternative would be to use a PRM 150 which is hydraulic. I see a few issues with that:
  • It would not be a direct replacement, so I would have to reconfigure the shaft connection etc.
  • It will need an oil cooler.
  • I always lock the propeller when sailing. I am pretty sure that the noise from a freewheeling prop would drive me nuts. To do that with a hydraulic transmission, I would need some sort of mechanical prop brake.
Regarding the last issue, I know of the vice grips trick, but I would aim for something a little more sophisticated.

Suddenly my simple replacement becomes a lot more complicated. What do you all think of the work involved with the issues above?
Old 12-05-2019, 07:40   #15

Another issue: The existing ZF 25MA transmission has an 8 degree down angle, so the engine is placed horizontally, while the prop shaft has a downward angle. How would you handle that with a PRM transmission with no downward angle?

Tags
transmission