Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2016, 16:25   #1

Freeing the rubber hose on prop shaft - Cat38

Hi All, I was unable to find a previous thread here related to my issue so, I am posing the following question. I have a Catalina 38. I am trying to free up the rubber hose over the stuffing box at the back end of the prop shaft and move it forward in order to do a shaft alignment.
I think that normally this would be pretty simple on most boats with enough space to work and the use of two hands. HOWEVER, . . . for anyone who knows the working space (or lack thereof) on the drive system of this boat, you will understand my dilemma! It is impossible to get two hands (and arms) into this area that far down so, there appears to be no way to provide adequate leverage with one hand while pulling the hose with the other.
I have successfully freed up the rubber hose enough so that it will spin by using a very large set of pliers after loosening the clamps but I'm unable to budge it forward. I attempted single-handed leverage using a pry bar - carefully - between the back end of the hose and the shoulder where the stuffing box is mounted - to no avail.
The ss clamps (4 in all) are very loose so, I doubt that this is the issue. Is there anyone who may have had a similar issue in such an inaccessible place and how did you solve it? Thanks!
Moxie 38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 21:27   #2

Boat: Catalina 36 / Morgan 33 OI
Re: Freeing the rubber hose on prop shaft - Cat38

Try softening the hose with hot water slowly pouring over it and then prying on the edge without deforming it or pulling by hand. Also try putting on a clamp on the middle span of the hose to which a piece of line is pinched under the clamp as in a bridle and pull on that straight out. But....Think of how difficult it may be putting the hose back into place after all that !!!
slowpoker is offline   Reply With Quote