Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2021, 15:32   #1

Boat: Beneteau 473
Folding Propeller

Hello:

A few months ago I lost the prop on my sailboat. I ordered a replacement but with all the shipping delays I can't even get an estimate on its delivery.... Anyways the prop I lost was a normal 3 bladed fixed prop. I am considering getting a folding prop which is more expensive, but at least I can get it!!! I have a Benenteau 473. Can anyone recommend a good folding prop? I have looked at Gori (https://ab-marine.com) and Flexofold (https://flexofold.com). Would love to hear what people are using and if you like it.

Thanks.....
Old 12-11-2021, 16:01   #2

Re: Folding Propeller

I understand that Flexifold is what the factory installs when you option a folding prop. I also discovered they are “part of the Yanmar group” (assuming Owned by). Flexifold did very well in the big multi-prop test of folding and feathering props a few years back, and heavily shared and quoted. (Google it if you haven’t read it). People I know that have them like them. I have a fixed currently, but will be installing at next haul out. I’ve not experienced any issues on boats I’ve sailed with them. No real discernible lag in reverse as some report with folding/feathering props.
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 17:22   #3

Boat: DUFOUR 385 GL

Hi I´m using a Gori in my sailboat, Dufour 358GL and it´s perfect, never had a problem with it. If you are installing a folding pillar, it is strongly recommended that you always check it before leaving the dock.
Cachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 19:32   #4

Boat: Current yacht:Alden 46, previous yachts:Cavalier 32, Joshua steel ketch -12m, Traveller 32,Rawson 30

to the OP:
You say you lost your propeller, how did you do that?
nuku34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 21:16   #5

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

we recently replaced a fixed prop with a feathering (rather than folding) prop

reason being i believe they are more reliable and give better performance in astern

do your own assessment : all i'm saying, is don't forget the feathering option...

cheers,
Old 12-11-2021, 21:22   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Recently installed a FlexoFold on my boat and one of the best upgrades I've made. Researched the various options for a while before buying and no regrets.

Great customer service and prompt shipment.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2021, 03:30   #7

FYI - Instead of a cotter pin my prop used a locking washer integrated with the key way. I just got my boat and previous owner did not change it for at least 5 years Corrosion took its toll and I lost the prop when the engine was in reverse
Old 13-11-2021, 21:39   #8

I have used all the feathering & folding props. Flexofold would be my first choice, but the Gori are not far behind. If you want a feathering then go kiwiprop. The performance astern or forward for the Flexofold is very good, not far short of a fixed prop.
kiwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2021, 05:15   #9

FYI - This document is from 2009 but might be helpful for anyone looking at folding propellers. Nice report and give results for 15 different props

THE ULTIMATE PROPELLER TEST
Which is the best prop for your boat? In the most comprehensive
http://www.flexofold.com/upload_dir/...onthly_low.pdf
Old 14-11-2021, 06:02   #10

Boat: Tartan 40

Flexofold is awesome for me x 7 years and counting. And I get plenty of power in reverse
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2021, 06:39   #11

malbert73:

Thanks for feedback. Flexofold is at the top of my list. I have already asked for a quote. I am just hoping with all the supply problems I can get it.... Below is what they said about them in the report.

FLEXOFOLD THREE-BLADE
Made in Denmark for the past 12 years, the Flexofold is an all-bronze folding unit, with blades fixed by stainless steel pins, and the anode, which covers the gearing, cleverly enclosed by the folded blades. On test, it gave the equal highest forward thrust of all props, and highest top speed. It also had one of the lowest side-thrusts. Going astern, its performance was the best of all the folding propellers. At a cruising speed of 6 knots, the engine was turning at 2,300rpm, compared to the 2,500rpm of our standard fixed prop and most of the other props on test.
Old 15-11-2021, 07:12   #12

Boat: Tartan 40

Yes I believe my flexofold is as good in terms of thrust and efficiency as my prior fixed 3 blade prop.
One caveat with ordering from flexofold. My experience (and anecdotally others) is that you should also do your own prop calculations. They tend toward a wee bit of overprop with their calculations
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2021, 04:44   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
One caveat with ordering from flexofold. My experience (and anecdotally others) is that you should also do your own prop calculations. They tend toward a wee bit of overprop with their calculations
Interesting. In my case if anything my Flexofold is a wee bit underpropped but then my previous 3-blade fixed prop might have been a bit overpropped so could be my impressions are just due to the difference between old and new.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propeller, rope