Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2015, 00:10   #1

Boat: Moody 44
Send a message via Skype™ to winckyst
Folding Prop - Volvo Penta

Can any one please guide me trough this:
A friend offer a new folding prop made by Volvo Penta (as new with nearly no money...) .
it was belong to a Beneteau 41 2004 Celebration, with a Volvo D2 55hp engine with a sail drive.
S/N shown on the blades : Volvo 3583407
S/N shown on the hub: VolvoPenta 3584249

How can i know for sure if this will fit my Moody 44 1994 (volvo penta MD22L-A with shaft drive 1 1/4' -31.8mm in diameter)?
Currently my Moody got the standard original prop and i know many owner got in troubles trying replace the prop to a different one but some other were very happy from the folding once they found the right size.
I really don't want to make bad moves to something that works well right now - but understand the (many) good benefits of the folding prop.
Thanks for your good advice
Sharon
winckyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 05:47   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Folding Prop - Volvo Penta

The sail drive hub will not fit a shaft drive at all. You can use the blades, but you will need to buy another hub that fits your shaft.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 08:21   #3

Re: Folding Prop - Volvo Penta

The D2-55 engine developes 55 hp @ 3000, and the MD22L developes 50hp @ 3000 rpm, so the power and rpm of both engines is fairly close. The gear ratio of the saildrive that came with the D2-55 is 2.2:1 , but we don't know what ratio transmission is fitted to your engine.

What you need to do is find out what your transmission reduction ratio is. If it's fairly close to 2.2:1, then there is a good chance that the blades could be used on your engine successfully. Most likely the blade set is a left hand rotation, and if your transmission is an MS2 model, then it can be rotated either left hand or right hand with no problem. However in any event you need to determine the rotation of the blades and be sure that your transmission can accomidate that rotation with the correct ( or close) reduction ratio.

Then, as mentioned by colemj, you will have to source a hub kit to fit the shaft size in your boat.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
penta, volvo