Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2014, 23:59   #1

Boat: Jonmeri 40
FlexOFold pitch selection

I thought I had made all the decisions necessary to order a new prop, but now I've received two different "recommendations" as to pitch for a 3-blade 18" FlexOFold. I know that another Jonmeri 40 like mine went through 3 different FlexOFolds before finding the correct prop, so I really need to get this right on the first go.

Here is the dilemma: FlexOFold "strongly" recommends 14 pitch but one of their agents (who has been extremely helpful and savvy) "would recommend 18x13 if you want to achieve the full rating of 3600rpm from the engine. You could use 18x14 but this is likely to limit the maximum rpm achieved to around 3000-3200. The advantage of 18x14 though is that you would achieve good cruising speeds at lower rpm."

Have you gone through a similar debate in selecting pitch for a FlexOFold? Of have relevant experience in actual use to share (i.e., "followed FoF's recommendation but have never been able to get top revs")?

As full-time liveaboards we have the boat loaded down; cruising through the Philippines and SE Asia the last several months we did a LOT of motoring in windless conditions and calm seas. So good performance and fuel economy at cruising speeds is important. BUT Larry Berlin taught us that if you can't get 3600rpm out of this motor, you've got the wrong prop. Our Yanmar 4JH2E is old (8750 hours) and has surely lost some umph, but we've decided to defer a full rebuild as she really runs well and burns no oil despite a bit of blue smoke.

Considering our old prop doesn't provide any clues -- for some unexplained reason, a prior owner installed a massively-oversized 22" MaxProp 2-blade. At least we could adjust the pitch, rather than needing to disable the boat and remove/return the blades for a different pitch as will be the case if I make the wrong choice with the FlexOFold.

Alii
Alii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 00:06   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: FlexOFold pitch selection

FWIW, we used the FOF recommended prop size and pitch on our boat, and it was spot on. That selection was via the chap in Marblehead... don't remember his name, but he was very helpful.

Btw, we are very happy with the prop. Now is 10 years and over 3K hours, no wear, no corrosion.

Cheers and good luck with the selection

Jim
Old 11-09-2014, 00:57   #3

Boat: Stevens 47

Our experience was exactly like Jim Cate's. Followed recommendations from the guy in Marblehead and it is perfect. Our's is 7 years old and 3,000 hours (to much motoring around SE Asia).
svTOTEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 16:00   #4

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps

As above 2 posts bought my FOF from Chuck Angle, Marblehead, Ma. and
his recommendation was right on. I understand he is no longer with FOF.
Thinking there is extensive thread here or on sailnet on FOF pitch.
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pitch