Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2017, 19:40   #16

Boat: 44 footer
Re: Failed Cutlass Bearing

I don't see why it would not work a treat... They used to use Purple heart slivers in a hammered home fit on the liberty ships. Anything remotely slick that wears slow and wears before it wipes out the shaft works.

Not all that long ago, the state of the art cutlass bearings that lasted about a year in working net boats around here... improved greatly when goretex boots came around, and the new and improved welded on welt soles came around with them...

The quality of the heel of the boot that got tacked on over the hole in the horn timber aft behind the shaft log lasted a lot longer.

So, the next time you tear a foul weather boot, just remember that if you save the sole you've got a cutlass bearing ready and waiting... Helps if you have something to nail it to.

Stern bearings are an expensive creature, if you have to cast them to fit the keel of the boat you've built... old boots are relatively inexpensive, and when they sell em to you, normally they give you a spare!
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 04:56   #17

Re: Failed Cutlass Bearing

Thanks for your comments Zach. I think in general these days, most of us are a bit spoiled. We are so used to getting pretty much anything we need delivered the next day from Amazon, we forget how the rest of the world, or at least a good portion must operate. I was put in contact with Jeanneau America parts, and was able to order a new Cutlass bearing, so while I'm going to have to wait a bit for it to arrive in Puerto Rico, should be good. I'm going to have the boat hauled to replace the shaft seal, so will replace the Cutlass bearing and check the P bracket alignment at the same time. Thanks for everyone's input.
rms95835 is offline   Reply With Quote