EDIT: CSloop, this is not directed at you, but rather a rant in general about people who run boats in excess of their ability, and the gizmos that let them do it
Well there you go; FLORIDA
: the home of the single
largest group of inept boat
operators in the world!
I have spent the last 35 years on the Florida
waterfront. I spent about ten years in the assistance towing business, and can tell you first hand that about 1% of the people plying the waters here have the slightest clue about what they are doing. The other 99% feel that if they have the juice to write the check, they MUST be able to drive the boat
perfectly right out of the box! Cute gizmos like thrusters and chart plotters allow the inept to get by
.. to some extent
but they all eventually wind
up at the end of a towline or in the paint
booth. They even have computer-controlled self docking
boats for fenders sakes!
Ill go along with the convenient argument, as I have an aux diesel
in my sailboat
It IS convenient, no doubt, but then again I can do just fine without it. Before someone says its because my boat is only 28.. I have on many occasions sailed much larger vessels (65+) on to the slip after the aux has gone on vacation
. Oh, and back to bow thrusters, I ran push boats with two 110x50 head
barges up and down the ICW
.. with no bow thruster and never hit a thing.
So to get back on topic, scrap the idea, expense, loss of performance, and maintenance
of a thruster (of any kind), and expand your training and experience. Or admit it is a shortcoming of the operators ability and not a need.