Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2008, 06:51   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
Sulli,

If some one can accept a fax, and then e-mail you the blow up I have it. I don't have a scanner working. I am in the shop working, but will check every so often to see what's up......
IMAGINE:
My fax # (807) 622-3633
I'll try to upload the dwg. to the Forum.

Gord

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2008, 07:00   #32

Boat: 1977 Kelly Peterson 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Hey Sundog,

I figured it was an Athena. Mines a 95. If you do get this boat let me know I'd love to trade tips with you. This is the first Cat I've had and though she's a bit older and I've done a lot of work on her (needed and upgrades) I keep being amazed at how much easier she is to work on than my other monos.
Tellie,
I'd love to hear about your mods, problems, ect. I really like this boat... she seems pretty simple and holds alot of potential for customizing. The biggest problem I can really find is lack of accessible pantry space (with extended cruising in mind). I also believe I'd have to do something with the forward most area of the hulls... they really should be seperated from the living spaces with a watertight bulkhead -mabye with a large access hatch. Mabye we should start an Athena thread...
sundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2008, 07:43   #33
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Gord..

Did that go through? I am having problems with my phone system
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2008, 01:24   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Imagine:
I did NOT get the fax.
I'm here 'till about 9:30 AM EDT today & again Sunday (4:30 - 8:00 AM).
Gord
Fax 1-807-622-3633
Office Phone: 1-807-622-3600

Old 26-04-2008, 04:43   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Got the faxed exploded parts diagram, but it's illegible.
What Model Saildrive should I search?
Gord

Old 26-04-2008, 05:43   #36
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Got the faxed exploded parts diagram, but it's illegible.
What Model Saildrive should I search?
Gord
Bummer. Yanmar SD20.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2008, 10:16   #37
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundog View Post
Tellie,
I'd love to hear about your mods, problems, ect. I really like this boat... she seems pretty simple and holds alot of potential for customizing. The biggest problem I can really find is lack of accessible pantry space (with extended cruising in mind). I also believe I'd have to do something with the forward most area of the hulls... they really should be seperated from the living spaces with a watertight bulkhead -mabye with a large access hatch. Mabye we should start an Athena thread...

Yeah pantry space is limited, of course under the salon seats my wife packs alot of things, food and her small appliances. Thought about sealing off the forward bulk head as well. The Mahe 36 has done this and has a hatch on deck to gain access. I haven't thought a lot on doing something similar yet but it might be a possibility either on top or like you suggest a hatch at the bulkhead, that would probably be the easiest to do. Against what seems to be conventionl wisdom I'm working on an engine driven watermaker which is coming along slowly but progress is steady. I'm setting her up for extended crusing as well. The one thing I wish she had is more fuel capacity. 40 gallons is a bit lean for me so I've made room for six 5.5 gallon juges on deck if needed. Maybe we could start a thread on Athenas. It could be titled Tellies always long winded responses.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2008, 15:23   #38

This is for Tellie: Even though you can't get all of the saildrive oil out, what did you use to pump some of it out from the top?
candycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 17:33   #39
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Quote:
Originally Posted by candycat View Post
This is for Tellie: Even though you can't get all of the saildrive oil out, what did you use to pump some of it out from the top?

Hi Candycat,

I use the same unit I use to change the engine oil. It's called an oil Vac, it works quite well. May the sailing Gods forgive me but I bought it from West Marine, it was about $40. I needed it in a pinch when my last pump failed. But I really like it. It holds five quarts, just give it a dozen or so pumps and shove the tube down the hole release a cheap little clamp on the hose and it sucks away. I find it alot less messy than those small hand pumps. I use a much smaller tube to run down the Sail Drive leg. If you fiddle around with the tube it can drop an extra inch or two. I get about a quart out.

West Marine: West Marine Oil Vac Changer Product Display
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2009, 20:19   #40

Boat: 1995 CATALINA 320 formerly Catamaran owner
Send a message via Skype™ to SurfNRG
Line Cutter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rust View Post
sean
That little collar does need to be there. I don't recall at the moment why and what it is called but it just sits in there. The Volvo has this also. It may be some type of water deflector. Possibly to keep water under pressure from the spinning prop away from the seal? That just popped into my head.
When I did mine the seal housing was a bit eaten up by electrolysis so I replaced it with a new one. The seal was separate so I used a C-clamp and a large socket to press it in place. Lessen:watch your zincs. I think getting the old seal out may be the hardest part. Check the price on a new seal housing. It may be worthwhile to keep one on hand with a seal in place to make the change out quicker in the future.
Steve, I think it's called a line cutter. check out the diagram in this link and confirm. Lower Gear Unit - Volvo Penta

Kevin S/V Bladerunner
SurfNRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2009, 20:50   #41

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfNRG View Post
Steve, I think it's called a line cutter. check out the diagram in this link and confirm. Lower Gear Unit - Volvo Penta

Kevin S/V Bladerunner

a 9 month old reply.....COOL!!!!!!!!!................. .............
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote