Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2010, 10:12   #31

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
This document does not cover saildrives. Saildrives are different from transmissions.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:32   #32

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
WEGCJW, is there any chance you are using High Performance Gear Lube in your saildrive? I have the service manual for the SD40/50 saildrive and it list a number of 80-90W products. It lists the High Performance Gear Lube as acceptible for the SD40 while it is the recommended lube for the SD50. I had a front main seal fail 2 years ago using the gear lube in my SD40. The shop replaced the seal and refilled the drive with one of the other recommended brands (Exxon if I remember correctly). It ran great for 2 years. In April I replaced the lube with high performance gear lube, and in June the front main seal failed again. I'm beginning to wonder if "acceptible" is not actually good enough for the SD40.
Captain Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2010, 11:43   #33

Boat: Hanse 411
On my Hanse 411 I have a Yanmar 4JH4E with saildrive Yanmar SD 40 (someone told me that the Yanmar saildrives are made by Volvo, It's true?) The past year with 800 motor hours I began to have some problems with the gear, like as you. The past week I risked to damage the boat on the cliffs near the harbour of Maddalena Island, why the motor was slipping... So I decided to change the cones. Very expensive. Yanmar told me that the reason of the default of the cones is why I never used the two blade standard alluminium propeller and I changed this with a three blade MaxProp. The Max Prop is too heavy for this gear. So I have to change change the cones, and come back with an ugly two blade propeller to avoid in the future this problem? What's is your opinion?
aries 411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2010, 12:46   #34

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
The Volvo 3 blade folding prop which Yanmar provides with their saildrives is certainly a heavy bugger (large solid bronze hub and blades). Hard to imagine the Maxprop being much heavier than that.

Maxprop makes composite blades that are lighter. See if that is OK with Yanmar.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 14:41   #35

Quote:
i keep mine in netural, this way the transmission is not turning- no wear-no problum-
I am not so sure, as far as I know it is the other way around. The transmission is turning when in neutral because it is powered by propeller (we are talking fixed props here). When you put reverse gear in, it stops turning, because there is not enough power generated by propeller to turn the engine. If you do not believe, you can listen to your transmission while sailing.

Yanmar SD40 manual says re-lap cone every 100 hours, replace every 500h. (BTW, lapping instructions were added to revision 2 of the manual and are not in original documentation that came with my saildrives,) Takes me about 1.5 hour, most of which is spent lowering oil level/refiling and washing gears to remove all traces of lapping compound after lapping. Very important!

Still, cones are ridiculously expensive, as there are at least 3 vultures (=dealers) between customer and manufacturer adding their own markup. At least that's the best I was able to find.
BambooSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 14:56   #36

Silly me, Yanmar document says:
Cone lapping interval: one year
Cone replacement interval: every five years
(not 100hours/500hours). Sorry.

One additional note: some time ago Yanmar issued technical note (which I cannot find right now) that says that oil level in saildrive should be 1 inch above high oil mark on dipstick.
BambooSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 18:25   #37

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BambooSailor View Post

One additional note: some time ago Yanmar issued technical note (which I cannot find right now) that says that oil level in saildrive should be 1 inch above high oil mark on dipstick.
That there is some serious BS on Yanmar's part.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 11:34   #38

Angry disastrous experience with Yanmar saildrives

I had a lagoon 470 with SD 40 saildrive with 4jh3 and it ruined my life for 5 years...
had to replace cone clutch all the time
after 350 to 550 hours cone clutch slip and i had no transmission
I did amazing maintenance with the right oil.
This problem is very well known.
I have risked many accidents as the boat was difficult to handle on one prop
so my reco is to say don't touch a boat who have SD 40 sail drive.

doing the opposite is to take a serious gamble

There are now SD 50 but i've heard they are not better.

what is about volvo....????
sikander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 11:38   #39

my troubles came with original yanmar "crap" 2 blade propeller...!!!!

so don't blame the propeller....
Old 24-09-2010, 11:46   #40

no...cone clutch slipping equal to no more transmission...at the beginning the clutch works and engages then he don't engage anymore....
Old 24-09-2010, 12:09   #41

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by BambooSailor View Post
Here's a reference to the service bulletin;
www.yanmarhelp.com/i_box2.htm

I always wondered why it only took 1.3 liters to get it to the full mark.
Captain Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 12:37   #42

Boat: Maverick 400 Catamaran
I chose Volvo in my new cat mainly due to all the saildrive problems that yanmar seem to have. I have seen so many replacements a our club, never mind what you read about. I do not understand how Yanmar cannot get it right, they do make great motors.
paulrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 12:44   #43

Thks Paulrack.
I'm looking to buy a new cat and of course not with Yanmar....Of course the alternative is Volvo with 130s saildrive on a 39cv.
Have you heard something negative on Volvo.
The little i know is that volvo get troubles with 75cv on saildrive in the past.
I have no other datas
Can you comment
Thks a lot
Old 24-09-2010, 13:44   #44

Boat: Maverick 400 Catamaran
I have the Volvo 39's with the 130 saildrives. So far I am very happy, the motors are very quiet and smooth and have good power. I have a 40ft cat and have flexofold 17X11 three bladed folding props. I get about 7.6kts at about 2000 revs in flat water. Can happly cruise at over 8 kts. The alternators on the Volvo are also higher capacity than the Yanmar which is a bonus and the motors are a lot lighter, which is great for a cat.

I had not heard negative things about this motor combination. Some people have said that parts for the Volvo are more expensive. Others that have done surveys comparing the different parts say there is not much in it. I have not regretted my decision at all and am very happy with my purchase
paulrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 16:11   #45

Thks Paulrack
you help me a lot because i was very scared to return to saildrive after what i lived with yanmar
i'm intending to purchase the new catana 42 infused and add the 39 with saildrive 130

Tags
clutch, sd40, yanmar