Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2011, 09:57   #46

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
Re: Dripless Stuffing Box Help

After seeing the pictures and resulting comments on the seals that look the same as the ones I have on my boat (twins) I quickly went down into the engine room to check mine. The name on them is "Power seal" I don't know how old they are. I have had this boat for 6 years and is the first time I have had dripless seal systems. I am used to the old stuffing boxes. The only thing I have done is to look at them to see that they are not leaking. What maintenance is needed?
Old 28-11-2011, 10:48   #47

Boat: gib sea ketch

hi there, dripless stuffing boxes MIGHT leak a few drops after a while depending on types. there are a few with seals and some with a friction base that works as well. from what i see ,your might be a tides marine seal type one. if so and in most case of this kind u might not have to take the boat out of the water hense to the fact that the kit it self contains a spare set of seals rotating freely on the shaft in a protectine case . u will get water in your bilge but just normal precations and u should do just fine. In any case since from what i see yours is a seal type make sure to get some spares and run them thuogh the shaft for future renewals.
i hope i helped ,

Harry
aegean spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 11:40   #48

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigelKent View Post
That's OK, I'm good with the PDF (page 2 is in english). Thanks the same for all the ready help. I'm going to need the stern tube's lubricating water hose re-attached as well. Since the shaft will have to be removed from the transmission/reverse gear to replace the shaft seal, I will have the reverse gear serviced also to replace seals and o-rings at the same time. Two, err... three ... birds with one stone.
In the marine world, that's opening a can-o-worms. You'll find some more as you get deeper into the muck.
Old 28-11-2011, 18:22   #49

(reverse gear drips as well. Oh well, another topic...)
RigelKent is offline   Reply With Quote