Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2016, 10:24   #16

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50
Re: Dripless Seals - Choices

It seems like the Tides Marine unit has a bellows as well, but just a beefier silicone. Boatbod, what is it about the PSS that you hate so much?
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 11:12   #17

Boat: Beneteau 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailormed View Post
I installed the volvo dripless seal a couple of years ago. Nearly maintenance free, you only have to put in a teaspoon of grease once a year and not forget to purge air after a haul-out. Volvo manual states to replace every 5 or 6 years. As the manufacturer they are of course over cautious. I had a neighbour that replaced his after 18 years, although it was still perfectly functional. You will have a bone dry hull. As far as I know, the Volvo is used by many fishing vessels, simple reliable solution. Look into the Volvo seal, you will not regret it.

I have this seal on my 2008 Beneteau, 16,000 NM, out of water most winters, works flawlessly, never a drop of water, and simple maint. The boat was built with this seal in the US, so it is not just a European solution.
newtonsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 11:27   #18

Boat: Carver 325 Aft Cabin

Have had Norscot on my boat for the past three years. No drips and no problems.
damaib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 11:49   #19

Boat: Taswell 43

We've had the PSS installed since 2002, and its given us excellent service. I've changed the bellow once, and lapped the carbon block with wet/dry sandpaper once......other than that, I've done nothing to it. FWIW, we haul every winter, and when we resplash, it must be "burped", to ensure there is cooling water inside the bellows.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 11:58   #20

Boat: Chartercats SA, Jaguar 36

An unusual salvage job I did once, on a vessel with engines removed that had dripless style shaft seals. It sat in the water all winter with no issues and then was moved to another slip for engine installation. Next morning it was on the bottom. When towed to the slip, it was pushed backwards, the shafts, without the engines to restrain them, walked forward in the hull and opened the seals. Water ingress was enough to sink it overnight. Not something you might anticipate, so I thought I would share that.
foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 12:08   #21

Boat: Moody 37

PSS when I bought it six years ago checked this year OK no idea how old it is. Probably depends how much motoring you do.
davewtsnape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 12:40   #22

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

PSS installed in 2010, 1000 ish hours of motoring, no salt spray.....no packing to adjust. Happy!

Adjusting a packing gland on our boat requires breaking two or three ribs and collapsing your lungs to get beneath the cockpit.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 12:48   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
It seems like the Tides Marine unit has a bellows as well, but just a beefier silicone. Boatbod, what is it about the PSS that you hate so much?
The Tides has a bearing built in to the end of the seal so it self-aligns with the shaft. The PSS does not, and can frequently be found off-center with the side of the carbon seal resting against the shaft. Any shaft wobble gets amplified by the seal especially if it runs off-center. Small leaks develop, which lead to deposits on the seal faces then more leaks until the thing leaves a black spray line inside your boat.

Also, the stainless rotors are very prone to pitting corrosion and the rubber bellows loose their springyness after a couple years. When the bellows tension is reduced the seals start to leak...

With all this in mind, the Tides is not without it's own disadvantages. The built in bearing I mentioned earlier is a great idea, but not if you loose water injection; in high speed applications (power boats, large shafts) I've seen it melt and fail spectacularly! The lip seal is very reliable, but like all lip seals it can be damaged during installation and it can also wear the shaft on which it rides.
boatbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 12:52   #24

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
I don't want this to become a traditional stuffing box vs. dripless shaft seal discussion. I have decided I want to pull the trigger and swap out my old stuffing box assembly with a new dripless shaft seal. I have done some research on the different brands and it seems the top three are:

-PSS
-Lasdrop
-Tides Marine

David
===

I bought PSS about 10 years ago on the advice of marine professionals. After about 46,000 nautical miles under power, they have been trouble free.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 14:56   #25

Boat: Ganley Transition 41 (corten steel )

I have a Kiwi Seal drip less unit made in New Zealand... very happy with it. The quality of the product has to be of high quality to compete with the big boys. It is a heavy duty fitting.

Blue Water Shaft Seal - Standard Model

The lip seal can be easily removed should it be damaged or need replacing with no need to replace the entire unit as new lip seals are readily available from our spare parts department.
ski69sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 16:48   #26

Boat: Cheoy Lee Clipper 33

Volvo seal since 2004 re-power, never a drip, just removed and cleaned out the grease line last month for maintenance rather than being needed.
OzClipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 18:39   #27

Boat: Corbin 39

I have had problem with PSS dripless the bellows became stiff and leaked after two years or less than 200 engine hours. It is my opinion that the bellows cannot take any exposure to diesel. Replaced bellows 150 hours ago bellows still ok at this time.
dmalcol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 19:13   #28

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Teflon packing and grease in the traditional stuffing box. Six years without a drip.
What grease did you use?
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 07:16   #29

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

I like the Volvo for its simplicity- it seems like one piece compared to the other seals.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seals