Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2011, 02:39   #1

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
CV Joint / Drive Shaft

Well, it is said that there are no stupid questions so here goes.
I have a Perkins 135HP pushing a 2.43:1 reduction gear to a 26" prop.
I would like thrust block and cv joint/flexible shaft connection. Looks like Python Drive, Aquadrive or Orion units. Which are fine but seems outrageously expensive for what is a very simple and old technology.

Is there any reason why I could not use a heavy duty auto CV joint/shaft which are sold for peanuts in comparison? I imagine there are autos which have torque and wear solutions far greater than needed for my little diesel.
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 03:23   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: CV Joint/Drive Shaft

no reason not to,but make sure you have a high quality thrust bearing on the prop coupling side.

we used a landrover fwd drive universal joint and a skf bearing mounted on a cross bearer glassed to the hull.

also make sure to leave plenty of room to repack the stuffing box.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 03:41   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll
no reason not to,but make sure you have a high quality thrust bearing on the prop coupling side.

we used a landrover fwd drive universal joint and a skf bearing mounted on a cross bearer glassed to the hull.

also make sure to leave plenty of room to repack the stuffing box.
This sounds practicable - easier for me to do in steel than glass I reckon. Thanks.
Old 18-12-2011, 04:04   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

steel or glass depending on hull material.

just remember the bearing has to take all the thrust when in fwd and reverse so bearing and cross bearer must be robust as 135 hp engine creats a lot of force.

you might also think about incorporating a shaft generator into the design if the boat is a sailing vessel.

like this;
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1433.jpg
Views:	2546
Size:	439.1 KB
ID:	34850  
Old 18-12-2011, 04:21   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll
steel or glass depending on hull material.

just remember the bearing has to take all the thrust when in fwd and reverse so bearing and cross bearer must be robust as 135 hp engine creats a lot of force.

you might also think about incorporating a shaft generator into the design if the boat is a sailing vessel.

like this;
Hmmm, nice. Thnks
Old 18-12-2011, 05:26   #6

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillbuilding View Post
Well, it is said that there are no stupid questions so here goes.
I have a Perkins 135HP pushing a 2.43:1 reduction gear to a 26" prop.
I would like thrust block and cv joint/flexible shaft connection. Looks like Python Drive, Aquadrive or Orion units. Which are fine but seems outrageously expensive for what is a very simple and old technology.

Is there any reason why I could not use a heavy duty auto CV joint/shaft which are sold for peanuts in comparison? I imagine there are autos which have torque and wear solutions far greater than needed for my little diesel.
I chose the Aqua Drive unit. It is more than a "U" joint. First off it has a thrust bearing that delivers the propulsion thrust, as well as the stresses from snagging a crab pot, to the engine bed, RATHER than the engine, it's rubber feet, or it's bearings.

Then it has TWO "U" joints, connected together by a short TELESCOPING shaft, all inside a rubber bellows. This allows the engine to be way out of alignment, and move all around, even for and aft shaking, without moving the prop shaft at all! The shaft just spins... This feature makes a dripless shaft seal, like my PSS, work infinitely better.

Together, these features make the engine's feet, bearings, and the shaft seal last much longer. It also makes it where engine to shaft alignment need not be constantly monitored or adjusted. Original alignment is much easier two.

We installed our engine within 5 degrees, 16 years and thousands of engine hours ago, and have never touched the alignment since. Although I may change the soft Yanmar rubber feet soon anyway, they have no sign of wear.

At the time, we paid $700 something for the small Aquadrive CV joint. While I could have cobbled together "something" cheaper, I could not even come close to creating something as utilitarian and long lived as this unit, for that price.

If you want one, buy it... IMO, it's a good deal!

M.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	091_91_00.JPG
Views:	1136
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	34855  
Old 18-12-2011, 10:07   #7

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

While I agree with the above and will be installing an Aquadrive unit shortly for precisely the same reasons (it's a steel boat and the reduction in vibration makes a HUGE difference), the OP can't use the "small" CV joint, because that's limited to 75 HP, if I recall. I have no idea what the "next one up" costs.

Nice installation, by the way.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 15:07   #8

I do understand the benefits of the system. Just checking out options before committing to the substantial outlay.
Old 18-12-2011, 15:22   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

check out these guys for shaft bearings etc,also have pss aquadrive etc thogh not on the web catalogue
HostWeavers server - Lake Engineering manufacturer stern gear and marine propellers for yachts and boats.

also Welcome to Lancing Marine

fast delivery all over the world,have used them both generally can dispatch in 24hrs
Old 11-12-2012, 03:31   #10

I am considering a change in transmissions with a resulting 7 degree misalignment. Anyone know if this is acceptable in real life situation?
Old 11-12-2012, 04:07   #11
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Halyards Aquadrive will handle that

Dave
Old 11-12-2012, 20:40   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: CV Joint / Drive Shaft

Aqua Drive give a life expectation for the different units at 3 deg. misalignment. You would have to check with the company to see what 7 deg. would do.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:53   #13

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

The point of an AquaDrive, to my understanding, is not to facilitate a permanent and intentional misalignment, but to allow transitory misalignments due to vibration-reducing "soft" motor mounts in a seaway.

A second feature is the isolation of the drive train from the prop shaft via the thrust bearing and the "cushioning" effect of the CV coupler.

Yeah, I have a steel boat. Seeing a soft mount/AquaDrive on a friend's boat and "not hearing it much", I was convinced. I'm doing the install over this winter.

I intend to labour a fair bit to get "zero degrees" dialled in. In other words, the engine at rest will be mated to the AquaDrive coupler as if it were a solid coupler. Then, when I get smacked by a wave while motoring off a lee shore and I'm heeled 30 degrees, I won't worry about alignment! That's how the CV joint should be, to my mind, employed.

Of course, I still have to watch my oil temperature running the engine at heel angles, but at least I won't bend the transmission linkages.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 19:51   #14

Boat: 68 tartan 34c

I am currently putting my own Aquadrive type system together. I have machined the thrust bearing housing and inserted opposing tapered roller bearings. My CV shaft is a new shaft for a 85 vw vanagon campervan. I cut the shaft in half, bored interference holes in a section of 1 and 1/4 shaft stock and pressed the vanagon shafts into the holes. I welded the ends and trued the shaft on the lathe. Being landlocked and working late in a machine shop to raise cash for the cruising kitting has to have some benefits. I will post some photos when I get it installed. The cv shaft is 43.5 inches long. We are moving the engine from the base of the companionway steps to just behind the mast. This is in a Tartan 34c. The engine is a 30 hp Yanmar. The thrust bearing will mount at the old atomic4 engine beds.
exkma367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:37   #15

Boat: 68 tartan 34c

Here is a photo of my homemade shaft.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PICT0089.JPG
Views:	847
Size:	183.7 KB
ID:	73547   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0090.JPG